2 Replies - 363 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2013 - 12:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Virtual world - software?

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know what software could be the most appropriate to develop a virtual world which fulfils the following requirements:
  • focus mostly on avatar functionality (as many features as possible, as real as possible)
  • focus on very high graphics quality for the 3D world
  • no need to start from scratch with programming. Preferably, less coding and more design involved
  • the game should be able to be accessed from the web

The game wont be very complicated itself - rather simple. The main focus will be on as realistic as possible game environment and characters.
I have already taken a look at (1) SecondLife, Unreal Development Kit and Frostbite. Second life looks exactly of what i want to have in my game, but i don`t need to be so big and complicated. The intention with my game is to support not more then 20 characters playing simultaneously in only one world.

I will appreciate if anyone has idea if any of those software tools (1) could be a good solution for my case? Are there other available tools that i can look at?

Thanks in advance! :D/> :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Virtual world - software?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Virtual world - software?

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Unity should do that, but I don't know where you sit programming wise. There's also "game maker studio". That's a bit more drag and drop

You do understand things like this:

The game wont be very complicated itself - rather simple.

are in direct odds with this:

The main focus will be on as realistic as possible game environment and characters.

and this..

focus mostly on avatar functionality (as many features as possible, as real as possible)

What you are asking is a do-everything-world with no setup. That's a tall order.. a huge order to be exact. If secondlife is what you are looking for then perhaps peruse their engine. Things like secondlife do not spring forth from nothing - there is a silly amount of work and effort to go in so other folks can participate in the game and add content in a coherent manner.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Virtual world - software?

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I don't know that I can add much to what Modi said, but I spent a good solid year building things in Second Life. Its probably more complex than most people realize and requires quite a bit of knowledge about how to produce art assets for games, if you take the time to build things. But it can also be super simple if you just buy things from other people rather than creating things yourself.

Like Modi said, if Second Life is what you're looking for then why not use that? I think you can make that pretty much as private as you want, locking anyone you like out of any space you own. So, I don't think there's a reason you can't just use Second Life.

NeverWinter Nights Two had an extremely complex level editor for small groups of people if what you want is that type of game.

Unity is probably going to be able to do what you want, but likely with more complexity than you want compared to Second Life. I don't think you're really going to get less complicated than Second Life unless you just play a game. I mean the only thing I can think of that is less complicated than Second Life is the Sims. Second Life is generally as complicated as you make it although probably not as complicated as even a simple actual game engine.

And as far as the number of people, I think you can get private space in Second Life and control exactly who can and can't enter.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 12 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1