How to add personal projects onto a resume.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2038 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to add personal projects onto a resume.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 13 August 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

Context. Work is not asking about your sexual experience. They aren't asking about your family reunion experience. They aren't asking about your playground experience. They are interviewing people for jobs. They are asking about job experience that relates to your skill set as it applies to the job you are applying for. Even if you have 20 years work experience as a concrete man, but are applying to be a software developer it really doesn't count much IN THE CONTEXT of the job you are applying for.

However, if I were looking to hire a developer, I would still lean towards the candidate with 3 years of school experience in programming over the candidate with 20 years pouring concrete in the "real world".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hmmmm Its a close call.

The kid with 3 yrs of school *might* have no real-world exerience at work of any kind. SO no work ethic. And probably has to be trained on how to be an employee PLUS how to be a coder.
The guy with 20 years of real work know how to come to work on time, take orders, etc. Plus at that age he's not a kid. If he has taken it upon himself to learn enough to pass the coding test for the job, even if he learned it on his own, he might be the better candidate. Hell, if he learned it on his own that probably guarrantees he's better than the kid who learned "C# in 6 months" over the span of 3 years; which is what most of the schools seem to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

My resume includes a section of projects I work on, in the same format as work experience. start/end of project, project name, and a short description, as well as my role in it.

as an aside, I read this as "How to add personal objects" and got confused
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostJody LeCompte, on 18 August 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

However, if I were looking to hire a developer, I would still lean towards the candidate with 3 years of school experience in programming over the candidate with 20 years pouring concrete in the "real world".

The employers that I were speaking with wanted experience in a paid programming position on top of a formal qualification related to the subject, and these were for junior/graduate developer jobs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +