6 Replies - 361 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to website design

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a recent graduate who is in the look for work.

while i am looking for work i have taken into the idea of making a website (so i dont feel like im sitting about like a bum all day and night)

anyway introductions aside:

I have an idea for a website. in which it will primarily be database driven. I recently just created the database and created the main queries i will be using within the design of the website.

The main problem i am having is WHERE DO I START? lol

im going to be using PHP, obviously i will have HTML CCS also. the main problem i have is getting together a functioning design which i can use throughout while also having a members section and a business section (both being registered)

I attempted this before a few months back, and go a basic registration set up etc. but once i got that far i was struggling to figure out where to go from there.

If there are any pages of information out there which you feel would help me i would greatly appriciate the reading, cause i know from experience that when starting something and it is started wrongly. it can really backfire later on in the project and i would like for this project to go as smooth as possible with the most attention to detail.

I will add i do have knowledge on html and css, however my website design skills were never to what i would prefer them to be. so if there are any tutorials for layout design etc that you could recommend i would love this information.

Thanks.
Andrew

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to website design

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to website design

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

WHERE DO I START

Do some research and see what others are doing with you type of site.
A good place to start is with a pencil and paper. Draw up the idea and then use html and css to make it look like what you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

I have a basic idea of what type f layout i want.. i had one sort of pieced together a few months ago, but i disregarded it. the idea of checking how other sites do it is an interesting idea.. would give me an idea of how i could go about creating the layout. thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Have you wireframed it out? Go away for awhile, draw each screen out taking into account the following...

1) What is the main task of each page? Each page should have a clear main task. This page is for logging in, this one is my profile, this one is where I read an article etc.
2) What type of info will I need to have access to for each page?
3) What are the things the user can see or not see?
4) How do you get from this page to the next page?
5) What types of colors, fonts and resources will you need to make that page function?
6) How will you test the page?

Ideally you draw each page out and then run through some user scenarios. All before you code a thing.

Example: I am a new user to this site and I am interested in registering. What are the steps for me to register and then sign in?

Hope you get the idea. :)

P.S. One tool I use for wireframing is a tool called Mockingbird. I cover it on my blog.. http://www.coderslex...ol-mockingbird/

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 12 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

That mockingbird looks interesting. (Also interesting that it doesn't mention IE.. they decided to ignore it :) )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

yeah im going to give that mockingbird a look in also. does sound very interesting. thanks for the information. i managed to get a basic layout designed so its in its teething stage.

always good seeing a project coming to life ;)

thanks for the information
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

One thing i would love to get further information on would be in creating a Content Management System so that i can manage what the general public can see on the website and what members can see. i would like it so my website is mainly a register to gain access (due to the nature of it)

I see there are quite a few free ones out there.. however i would prefer to find information on creating one so that i am able to troubleshoot it myself.

Could someone shed some light on whether these free ones are actually any good, i have a horrible gut feeling if i installed one and started using it, it would expect me to do everything through it rather than being able to have my own freedom
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1