14 Replies - 1333 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Just asking..

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hello. I just want to ask you guys about me, learning C++. Basically, I have a little background in C and as far as I know, I'm already reading Exception Handling in Java. But when I surfed the net, I found out that C++ is better when it comes to creating softwares, etc. I'm a 3rd year IT student here in the Philippines, but I want to be a programmer. In our department, the professors are not that diligent enough to teach Java or C in deeper sense because they are saying that we are just IT students, not Computer Science. That's why I'm teaching myself through books. This is my situation, so I will be a 4th year student next year and that will be the time for our thesis and I'm planning to create a software. Now, I don't know If I should continue learning Java or I'll switch to C++ as early as now? I will not object to your opinions here guys. All answers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Just asking..

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Just asking..

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

I found out that C++ is better when it comes to creating softwares, etc.

So that's not wholly true. It depends on the software, platform, etc. I mean - heck, Java is the backbone of Android and I think that qualifies as software.

This is my situation, so I will be a 4th year student next year and that will be the time for our thesis and I'm planning to create a software. Now, I don't know If I should continue learning Java or I'll switch to C++ as early as now?

It depends on what you are making, what you want to get out of this project, etc. Also - why not just learn both?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

If you learn C++, then learning Java is a cake walk. However the implication isn't the same the other way around, from what I've seen atleast.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 August 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

I found out that C++ is better when it comes to creating softwares, etc.

So that's not wholly true. It depends on the software, platform, etc. I mean - heck, Java is the backbone of Android and I think that qualifies as software.

This is my situation, so I will be a 4th year student next year and that will be the time for our thesis and I'm planning to create a software. Now, I don't know If I should continue learning Java or I'll switch to C++ as early as now?

It depends on what you are making, what you want to get out of this project, etc. Also - why not just learn both?

Can you suggest sample software ideas in Java and C++ so that I can decide on what to take first. I still don't have the idea of what will I create when thesis comes. For you, what do you suggest, Java or C++?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postjjl, on 13 August 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

If you learn C++, then learning Java is a cake walk. However the implication isn't the same the other way around, from what I've seen atleast.

Okay, but what will you suggest? Java or C++? I read different topics about C++ from google and almost all were saying that C++ is a hard to learn language, and they emphasized pointers, memory management, etc. That's why I don't know if I'll continue my Java or switch to C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

That's why I'm teaching myself through books. This is my situation, so I will be a 4th year student next year and that will be the time for our thesis and I'm planning to create a software. Now, I don't know If I should continue learning Java or I'll switch to C++ as early as now?

What language you should use really depends upon what you mean by "create a software". What will be the purpose of this software? Who will be the intended audience? Really all three languages you mentioned C, C++, and Java can all be used to create a software. Your first decision should be to determine the purpose and scope of your software. You need to come up with a program specification before you actually worry about what language the program will be written in. Perhaps none of the three languages you listed would be suitable for your program, perhaps it would e better written in PHP, Python, or some other scripting language.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

View Postjimblumberg, on 14 August 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

That's why I'm teaching myself through books. This is my situation, so I will be a 4th year student next year and that will be the time for our thesis and I'm planning to create a software. Now, I don't know If I should continue learning Java or I'll switch to C++ as early as now?

What language you should use really depends upon what you mean by "create a software". What will be the purpose of this software? Who will be the intended audience? Really all three languages you mentioned C, C++, and Java can all be used to create a software. Your first decision should be to determine the purpose and scope of your software. You need to come up with a program specification before you actually worry about what language the program will be written in. Perhaps none of the three languages you listed would be suitable for your program, perhaps it would e better written in PHP, Python, or some other scripting language.

Jim

Thank you for the reply, Sir Jim. :)
Okay, but what if C++ is the better language that I should use in creating that software? But still, I don't know how to program in C++ by that time?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

As far as ideas for software go, we have a list: http://www.dreaminco...ect-ideas-list/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

If you are deciding on the project, you need to think about your capabilities. If you don't know a language it would be silly to decide upon a project that requires that language, if you don't know if you can learn the language in time. Look for a project that will use a language you already know, unless you know that you can learn the new language in time to be used in your time frame. You have will have a fixed amount of time to accomplish your objectives, be sure you consider this fact carefully. Since I don't know how fast you can learn the language or what the scope and complexity you will be seeking in your project I can't recommend anything. You really should be talking to your facility advisors. They should be able to guide you in selecting your project and the proper language for this project.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

Start somewhere. Doesn't matter where. If you're in the wrong place, you'll figure out what it is you're lacking - just standing around blueskying about different languages doesn't teach you much. Get your hands dirty, try something, and when it blows up in your face, figure out why that happened.
Or, in the words of Samuel Beckett, the greatest optimist who ever lived: "Ever ventured. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

View Postjimblumberg, on 14 August 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

If you are deciding on the project, you need to think about your capabilities. If you don't know a language it would be silly to decide upon a project that requires that language, if you don't know if you can learn the language in time. Look for a project that will use a language you already know, unless you know that you can learn the new language in time to be used in your time frame. You have will have a fixed amount of time to accomplish your objectives, be sure you consider this fact carefully. Since I don't know how fast you can learn the language or what the scope and complexity you will be seeking in your project I can't recommend anything. You really should be talking to your facility advisors. They should be able to guide you in selecting your project and the proper language for this project.

Jim

Okay. I'll try to ask them. I hope that they will have time to talk with me about that thing. Anyway, thank you Sir Jim. :)

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 August 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Start somewhere. Doesn't matter where. If you're in the wrong place, you'll figure out what it is you're lacking - just standing around blueskying about different languages doesn't teach you much. Get your hands dirty, try something, and when it blows up in your face, figure out why that happened.
Or, in the words of Samuel Beckett, the greatest optimist who ever lived: "Ever ventured. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Yes Sir. Thanks for the motivation. I borrowed a Java book written by Deitel from our college's library. From now on, I'll be reading that book. :) Right now, I can't get the idea of passing reference as parameters, why do you need to initialize instance variables in constructors(is it a requirement in every program?). Maybe you know some links here at DIC about those things? Thanks in advance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

That's a question that we could take up over in the java forum. Why don't you start a topic for it over there?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 August 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

That's a question that we could take up over in the java forum. Why don't you start a topic for it over there?

I thought that if I will be posting a topic like that, I might duplicate other posts here. But I'll try to figure it out first by myself. If I still can't get it, I'll post another topic right away. Thanks. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Being a forum leader for Java, I hereby declare it okay to repeat that topic. There's always benefit to kicking those basic concepts around a little.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 August 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Being a forum leader for Java, I hereby declare it okay to repeat that topic. There's always benefit to kicking those basic concepts around a little.

Thank you sir! I'm currently reading about it. I'll post later. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1