5 Replies - 1479 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

College Starts in a Week and I'm Freaking Out

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

So I start college in a week and I'm freaking out. A bit dramatic? Maybe. Any who, I applied to the school and got in as a Computer Science major. Now I'm having second thoughts! I want to change my major already! I'm afraid that everyone will come in with so much more experience than me that I'll look stupid and fall behind. I do code in my own time but in the web development realm (I'm a beginner learning HTML/CSS/PHP).

I'm afraid that I'm too stupid to actually understand the course work and everyone will look down on me. I took AP CS in high school and loved it and passed the AP test but I feel like I'll just bomb it in college. I'm also a minority female so I feel like everyone by default will look down on me, and think I'm in the career just for the money. I've gone to a few tech camps and I find programming fun! Also, I went to a meet-up with some people who will be going to my college and I met a guy who will also be in the computer science program. He was extremely anti-social and I'm afraid that everyone in the program will be the same way! I love things like video games, comics, etc. so I feel like I'll have things to talk with people about. But, I feel like the people in my computer science classes will be anti-social and no one will talk to me! I'm so paranoid haha I'm also afraid people won't take me seriously because I like makeup, looking presentable, etc.

School hasn't even started and I'm contemplating switching to business. I've wanted to major in computer science as long as I can remember :(

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: College Starts in a Week and I'm Freaking Out

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: College Starts in a Week and I'm Freaking Out

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'm afraid that everyone will come in with so much more experience than me that I'll look stupid and fall behind.

Outside of stating "that's life - some folks know more about a subject and others less than you" - that's why a large chunk start out at the introduction 101 classes.

I'm afraid that I'm too stupid to actually understand the course work and everyone will look down on me.

Not likely.

I took AP CS in high school and loved it and passed the AP test but I feel like I'll just bomb it in college.

How do those correlate?

I'm also a minority female so I feel like everyone by default will look down on me, and think I'm in the career just for the money.

You cannot, one hundred percent, control folks perceptions/ideas/groupings of people. Move past what you can't control.

Also, I went to a meet-up with some people who will be going to my college and I met a guy who will also be in the computer science program. He was extremely anti-social and I'm afraid that everyone in the program will be the same way!
But, I feel like the people in my computer science classes will be anti-social and no one will talk to me!
But, I feel like the people in my computer science classes will be anti-social and no one will talk to me!

Now who is passing preconceived notions?

Make your judgement when you get a few weeks into class... let's not hold provincial commentary so soon.

School hasn't even started and I'm contemplating switching to business. I've wanted to major in computer science as long as I can remember

Do what you want you are passionate about. Seriously, if you want to kill off your dreams before they event start on the odd chance something catastrophic may occur then fine, have at it. Some days big rewards require to reach a little further.. or in this case to get over the fear of failing to reach.

Suck it up and ride out a semester to see how things actually are, or bail before you start based on random paranoia of what people will think of you, of you failing, your minority female status, or a million other unsubstantiated what-ifs. It's your choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

View PostComicStix, on 13 August 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

So I start college in a week and I'm freaking out. A bit dramatic? Maybe. Any who, I applied to the school and got in as a Computer Science major. Now I'm having second thoughts! I want to change my major already! I'm afraid that everyone will come in with so much more experience than me that I'll look stupid and fall behind. I do code in my own time but in the web development realm (I'm a beginner learning HTML/CSS/PHP).

I'm afraid that I'm too stupid to actually understand the course work and everyone will look down on me. I took AP CS in high school and loved it and passed the AP test but I feel like I'll just bomb it in college. I'm also a minority female so I feel like everyone by default will look down on me, and think I'm in the career just for the money. I've gone to a few tech camps and I find programming fun! Also, I went to a meet-up with some people who will be going to my college and I met a guy who will also be in the computer science program. He was extremely anti-social and I'm afraid that everyone in the program will be the same way! I love things like video games, comics, etc. so I feel like I'll have things to talk with people about. But, I feel like the people in my computer science classes will be anti-social and no one will talk to me! I'm so paranoid haha I'm also afraid people won't take me seriously because I like makeup, looking presentable, etc.

School hasn't even started and I'm contemplating switching to business. I've wanted to major in computer science as long as I can remember :(/>

Don't let the thoughts of others distract you from pursuing your dreams. If your dream is to become a computer programmer then continue down the CS major route but if your dream is just to become just another businesswoman then pursue the business degree. As a female you're pursuit of a CS major will be very much in the minority which is a good thing because you can bring a different perspective to programming that some of your other peers may not have. Not all programmers are anti-social so don't take the actions of one person to represent the actions of all people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

View PostComicStix, on 13 August 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

I've wanted to major in computer science as long as I can remember :(/>

Think about what this quote means. If this quote as any meaning to it, you will find it in you to at least take a few CS classes before you make a choice. :tup:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

I gotta agree with modi123_1 here. If you have a passion for it, then don't worry about what others think of you. They are there for the same reason as you and possibly feel the same way or can at least sympathize with you. I start my Sophomore year on Monday. Now go dominate like Rambo! :gunsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

If you never try, you will never fail. But what fun is that? I say take a stab and do your best and I bet you will see many will be asking for your help. Passion can be a great driver, use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1