11 Replies - 1077 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Humble Bundle

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just wanted to point out that the Humble Bundle has an insane deal going on right now.

Games included:
Dead Space
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Mirrors Edge
Dead Space 3
Medal of Honor

and if you beat the average:
Battlefield 3
The Sims 3 starter pack (Sims 3, High End Loft Stuff DLC, Late Night DLC)

All of EA's proceeds are going towards charity. The cost of these games purchased individually is $220. Total spent this bundle has exceeded $120 million.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Humble Bundle

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Humble Bundle

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Only available via cloud lockin services? Bummer.

The reason I purchased the first Humble Bundle was because it was DRM free. I wanted to support that as much as anything else. This is the antithesis of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Origin is very drm-y. I almost bought it but I have half the games already and I'm broke.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

I don't get the problem most people have with DRM. Steam is far from being a cloud lock in service. Steam is basically a library of all your games. Once you download them they don't require steam to run, you can move the files wherever you want, uninstall steam and they still work. Etc.

Origin is more cloud lock in, but at the least their always on DRM gives me some features. I do get to broadcast all my games to Twitch TV automatically. That's a nice part.

I always compare my DRM to whether or not it impedes me. If it doesn't impede me then I don't really have many problems with it. In terms of Origin and Steam, I haven't decided either way is necessarily an impediment to my gaming.

I guess given the times I don't understand the sudden aversion to any kind of DRM. It's going to happen and Origin and Steam are leagues better than that SecuROM bs.

Lastly, I bought it. It was a steal for getting BF3 and Sims 3 alone.

Edit: Also, I have some left over Steam and Origin Keys. Origin keys are: Dead Space 3 and Crysis 2 Max Edition. Steam Keys are: Crysis 2 Max Edition and Medal of Honor (Not warfighter, MoH). If you want any of these let me know. I already have them, trying to get rid of them. They're free.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 15 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postccubed, on 15 August 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Steam ... Once you download them they don't require steam to run, you can move the files wherever you want, uninstall steam and they still work. Etc.

I was unaware of this. Good to know.

View Postccubed, on 15 August 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I don't understand the sudden aversion to any kind of DRM.

Hardly sudden. More like continual.

Simply, I like to own the stuff I pay for. The MP3s I ripped from the CDs I own have bounced from device to device for nearly two decades. Other media purchased online hasn't had nearly that longevity.

I don't want some cloud entity to one day decide I don't own something I paid for because I either pissed them off or, more likely, they went belly up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

I don't want some cloud entity to one day decide I don't own something I paid for because I either pissed them off or, more likely, they went belly up.

Guess that is always a possibility and fear. Luckily, Laws are being passed that stop that. There are also laws that are being proposed that would make a game published release an offline patch to any game that could reasonably be made to work that way if they shut down the servers required for that game to work. So where as that wouldn't cover something like Guild Wars, it would cover something like Sims 3 or Dragon Age.

Hopefully when the day comes that the issue of stuff disappearing shows up due to loss of money or what have you, we'll have a way around that.

Edit: RE: Digital Music
Don't know if you knew but iTunes and Amazon are now free of DRM. So as long as you have a backup you can tote the songs around anywhere. Microsoft should be along soon to follow the trend.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 15 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

View Postccubed, on 15 August 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

.. snip ..
Guess that is always a possibility and fear. Luckily, Laws are being passed that stop that. There are also laws that are being proposed that would make a game published release an offline patch to any game that could reasonably be made to work that way if they shut down the servers required for that game to work. So where as that wouldn't cover something like Guild Wars, it would cover something like Sims 3 or Dragon Age.
.. snip ..

Cite?

At best I can find an online petition from about a year ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Crazy good deal. Sucks the worthwhile games are only on Origin but for less than 10 bucks, I can deal with Origin for a little bit of fun. Even though they aren't drm free, there are still 100s of hours of fun that can be had so to me, thats well worth 5-10 bucks, or whatver you want to pay for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Yea I almost bought the bundle but I'm not downloading Origin. Only game I'd be interested in is Crysis 2 anyway
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

well crysis 2 is unlockable on steam so you don't need to download origin if all you want is crysis 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Speaking of which, Microsoft will be shutting down GFWL. The marketplace is being closed on the 22nd. And there was a note on the Age of Empires: Online page that mention GFWL service will be shut down next june/july.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Games for Windows Live "will be discontinued on July 1, 2014."

http://news.cnet.com...ly-2014-report/

Good.. AoE:Online blew.

Age of Empires Online's freemium model was unsustainable due to the game's lack of content, which drove the game's revenue into the ground, according to Microsoft Studios executive producer Kevin Perry.

Speaking during a presentation at GDC Europe 2013, Perry said the real-time strategy massively multiplayer online game launched two years ago as "an okay game but with a bad free-to-play business model." Perry said the game started at launch in 2011 with 100,000 active users before it "fell right off a cliff," with only 15,000 users active by December and almost no revenue.

According to Perry, the game didn't launch "with enough stuff" and with several features missing

http://www.polygon.c...-to-its-lack-of
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1