What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

61 Replies - 3292 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

I just finished reading an article about Papa John's and how their motto "Better ingredients. Better pizza" is a bunch of BS, since they are using the same crappy products like other restaurants, and I just wanted to know if you guys read the label or care about what's in your food. Do you guys mind buying foods that are or contain GMO? Do you prefer organic? Or does it not matter to you?

My family pretty much eats only organic stuff, where as I try to eat stuff that are not GMO, but are not necessarily organic either.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

Good enough to be approved by the FDA and Federal Health Inspection, good enough for me. Humans have an immune system that has survived thousands of years here on Earth, a large portion spent in less than sanitary conditions.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

GMO is fundamentally evil. It is primarily the brainchild of a single entity, Monsanto, whose business practices would give Vlad the Impaler pause. If you've never heard of this company, look them up. It's hard to separate Monsanto from GMO and many issues surrounding GMO are actually issues than involve the company's scorched earth litigation machine.

Is GMO itself an issue? Who knows. To some extent, humans have always engineered the food they grow. Of course, when you step outside trait selection via breeding and actually incorporate foreign genetic material into the genome, that just sends up all kinds of warning flares. It should be safe...

One issue with GMO is that the consumer has no say. If all produce had labeling, then the consumer could express their preference with their food budget. Additionally, this produce is also part of the ingredient list on packaged food; but you can't tell. In most modern foods, GMO is unavoidable.

Even "organic" is questionable, since its popularity has made companies bend reasonable definitions as a matter of course.

If you care, you buy from the grower. It's generally more expensive, but it's really the only way you know what you're getting.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

POPULAR

In theory - I'm down with GMO
In it's current state - I stay away

It becomes less feasible for everyone on Earth to eat non-GMO food every day, especially if we want to work towards eliminating hunger as a way of life. And as baavgai points out, external modification (selective breeding for desirable traits) has gone on for a long, long time. However, what Monsanto has done and is doing is, in my opinion, dangerous and evil only in the way that a corporation with total government support could be. For ANYONE to say "Hey, I think the wind might have blown pollen from a Monsanto crop onto your land: you must now surrender your crops for testing, and if any of our proprietary genetics are found ANYWHERE, we now own the crop and you must buy our seeds from now on," and have the government back them up, is batshit crazy. I mean how the fuck does that even happen? That's such crazy, stupid bullshit that it could only happen in Freedomland, America. If this was a boardgame, Monsanto would be called a cheater and not allowed to play anymore.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 15 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

GMO - there hasn't been a peer-reviewed study that adequately proves that GMO foods are unhealthy. The only studies I've seen that prove anything is that the pesticides used with certain GMO foods are unhealthy. And not using GMO wouldn't stop us from using pesticides, and could actually increase the need for pesticides.

And to what definition of GMO do you mean? Most of our food is genetically modified to some degree. Including our animals. It's what animal husbandry and crop selection is all about. Has been done for millenia, it's just slower. And they both include cross breeding with other species.

Or you mean modern GMO where we cross the species that couldn't be crossed with out a lab tech stepping in with a needle and DNA manipulation. Which I point back to my first sentence.

I say study the shit, study the hell out of it. I say don't allow patenting genes (especially not human genes), that's just messed up. I say we should closely observe where GMOs go, and regulate it properly as information is learned (and proved), but I say that about most modern technology... especially technologies KNOWN to kill, yet we want to remove regulation from them (coal, oil, and chemical pollutants). But I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water. GMOs can assist with many of the problems that we see coming in the near future with over population and global warming.

Organic - do you mean what my family always just called "food"? Yes I have a preference for what people today call "organic", that's just because I've always grown up with food grown by me and my family for the most part. It was also supplemented with grocery store food as well, because growing food "organically" has LOW yields.

I have a funny little anecdote that sums up my opinion of organic.

In highschool I went to the videogame store one day, which was next door to the "Nature Food Land" where my girlfriend at the time worked. I stopped in to say hi to her, but she wasn't there. So I grabbed a juice and an apple. I go up to the teller and ring up.

cashier: "That'll be 4.25"
me: "What? Crap, I'll just get the apple then, the juice is cheaper across the street."
cashier: "The juice is only 1.75"
me: ::befuddled:: "Are you telling me the apple is 2 dollars?"
cashier: "It's organic."
me: "Yeah, I know, its an apple. But why is it 2 dollars?"
cashier: "It's organic!"
me: "Yeah, it's a fucking plant, I get it. But why the cost?"
cashier: "You're not listening, its orrr-gann-ic."
me: "Are you seriously trying to convince me that because it contains carbon that I should pay more for it?"
cashier: "No, no, no... it's grown with out chemicals. It's synthetic pesticide free."
me: "So why don't you call it synthetic pesiticide free instead of a word that already MEANS SOMETHING ELSE."

My girlfriend and her friends who worked at this store were all vegan health nuts. They all got the job there because they couldn't afford their diet otherwise (not just the vegan part, the health nut part, you can eat vegan for super cheap if you don't care about "organic". How did working their afford their diet? Cause the 5.25 an hour they made didn't do much... no, they robbed from the store whenever possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Also the Monstanto taking over farms bit, a lot of it is actually fear mongering.

Lets take for instance the group of farmers who are trying to sue Monsanto for doing it.

An article on it:
http://www.dailytech...rticle24118.htm

Note... NONE of the farmers suing were ever actually approached by Monstanto, and they opened the case out of fear that Monstanto MIGHT do it in the future.

Monsanto does open several (or a few, depending the slant you want to put on it) every year pertaining to their patent. It usually has to do with people taking their seed and schucking it at the end to get a new batch of seed with out having to pay for it.

Monstanto has yet to have any cases that pertain to just the accidental cross pollination falling onto some non-GMO farms seed. Farmers are just afraid that might happen, and have tried to drum up support for it. (including several 'documentaries' which are as much documentary as Michael Moore's films are)

And if we are afraid of that happening... ok, simple answer, I already stated it above. Don't allow the patenting of genes. (or at least reduce the patent duration to a reasonable amount of time, like it USED to be in the past)

This is nothing against GMO, this is nothing against the scientific method of GMO, this ALL has to do with politics. And we shouldn't say some science is "BAD" because the politics and business around it is/can be toxic to politics and business.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 15 August 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

For ANYONE to say "Hey, I think the wind might have blown pollen from a Monsanto crop onto your land: you must now surrender your crops for testing, and if any of our proprietary genetics are found ANYWHERE, we now own the crop and you must buy our seeds from now on," and have the government back them up, is batshit crazy.

This seems kind of the equivalent of banking eggs or sperm, then testing kids to see if they're yours.. and making their parents pay you for use of your genetic material.

Hmm... I wonder if I'm too old to bank eggs...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 farrell2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

The sun genetically modifies your food. I don't care. "I'll eat a pig's ass if they cook it right." - Chris Rock.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 15 August 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

The sun genetically modifies your food.

No. It does not.

An organism's genetics are set at conception, when the initial combination takes place. During early cell division, there is a chance of cell mutation affecting the mature organism. In a mature organism, mutation on a cellular level is basically cancer.

When an organism reproduces, genetic material from the parents is passed on to the offspring. While isn't not quite as simple as Mendel's Laws, it's pretty damn close.

At issue is the effect of artificially introducing what are effectively impossible mutations into an organism. Theoretically, if the organism is healthy and non toxic, it's safe for humans to consume. However, because the organism couldn't have otherwise existed in our planetary ecosystem, there is reason for caution.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 15 August 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

The sun genetically modifies your food.

No. It does not.

Yes it does, as well as a gazillion other factors. Genes are in a constant state of mutation, change and damage caused by environmental influences and breeding. Granted any living thing's genes aren't changed after conception/being set - apart from becoming damaged, but in the transition between generations there is modification.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Somatic mutations occur all the time, they can occur from environmental factors, including ultra-violet rays from the sun. They can also occur just during normal cell division, which occurs constantly through out your life (it takes a duration of 7 years for every cell in your body to have replaced itself with a new cell).

The mutation can lead to cancer, but isn't necessarily cancer. It is a mutation.

Somatic mutations do not get handed down through birth, unless that somatic mutation was on sperm or egg cells (sperm and egg cells also can introduce mutations in other more common ways as well).

[edit]
a reference for you:
http://www.britannic...omatic-mutation

somatic mutation, genetic alteration acquired by a cell that can be passed to the progeny of the mutated cell in the course of cell division. Somatic mutations differ from germ line mutations, which are inherited genetic alterations that occur in the germ cells (i.e., sperm and eggs). Somatic mutations are frequently caused by environmental factors, such as exposure to ultraviolet radiation or to certain chemicals.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Fine. To be clear, in the context of GMO ( "genetically modified organism is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques" ) we are talking about "germline mutation" not "somatic mutation." This is NOT same thing as the odd copy error you get from a myriad of environmental factors.

If you want to be pedantic, a percentage of any organism can contain cells with environmentally induced mutations at any given moment. However, to call a sun burnt cancer ridden carrot "genetically modified" is kind of missing the point.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 15 August 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

me: "So why don't you call it synthetic pesiticide free instead of a word that already MEANS SOMETHING ELSE."

That literally made me LOL! And I know what you mean by having a low yield when you grow your own food. We used to have a garden which we planted tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, mint, and had a peach and apricot tree. With the acceptation of the apricot tree, the work was not worth it for such a small amount of "harvest", IMO.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

GMO is fundamentally evil. It is primarily the brainchild of a single entity, Monsanto, whose business practices would give Vlad the Impaler pause. If you've never heard of this company, look them up.

Time for me to look them up!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

My wife has been vegan for almost a year now. Based on her own studies & the documentary Forks Over Knives & it's reporting on types of cancer based on diet. Slowly I adapted to the food choice, & currently I eat mostly organics, except once a week I'll have a burger or Chipotle. I've also dropped 45 pounds doing so, & am within 10 pounds of my HighSchool weight.

When I was growing up, family members had farms (& still do), with grass fed cattle. So when I grew up most of what I ate at home was family grown. Now, so few kids want the chore of being a farmer (shit, neither do I!) so no one goes out of their way to put quality into food. It's available at the store, or drive through a fast food chain, done & done.

The last point I'll bring up is the complaint about how expensive organic foods are. Two things to say to this : First, this is what food costs, it's the GMO garbage that has been made less expensive. Secondly, it fills me up for longer. So eating healthy, imo, is only expensive when you continue to eat garbage. We actually spend less buying 90% organic food, because we eat less often. For example, we buy a loaf of ezekiel bread, & it's $7.00+. & a jar of Smuckers all natural Peanut Butter for $5+. Lastly we buy some bananas, say $2+. That is also all we (wife & I) eat for breakfast, all week. So for the week, 7 days, we spend $14+, say $16. The jar of PB actually lasts longer, but we'll go with this just for numbers sake. My friend spends almost $4 at Dunken Donuts... or $5 at McDonalds. By the end of the week he has spent $21 to $35, just on breakfast. & 2 weeks ago he went to get a checkup on his blood sugar, because both his mother, & his grandmother have diabetes. I'll spend the $16 on my 'expensive organics', & forgo the delicious, diabetes causing garbage.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »