What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

61 Replies - 3332 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

I will admit to slightly misreading this however the primary directive of companies doesn't seem relevant to the immoral actions of Monsanto relating to GMO's as it is not a global problem. Also I disagree with this:

Any collateral damage is only meaningful to the extent that it affects the bottom line.
as for many businesses that's simply not true. Also there are several companies who do distinctly moral things without relevance or with direct cost to their own profits (supporting charities or whatnot, and yes I'm aware of the advertising prospects but deed and intent are not the same thing). The quote you gave states that it is the only responsibility of a corporation to make a profit, that does not make it an amoral body. It is not my responsibility to help people but the moral action may be to do so and in following along with the moral action am I not a moral person? I agree with the quote but not the assumption you derived from it.Also this:

GMO is fundamentally evil. It is primarily the brainchild of a single entity, Monsanto, whose business practices would give Vlad the Impaler pause.
is the equivalent of blaming the child for the actions of the parent. Anyone can have an idea and whether it be used morally or otherwise is not their responsibility. If I am a deplorable person, but I come up with a way of creating free energy (for example) then is free energy also deplorable? and if not then why is it different with corporations? I think Monsanto are an awful immoral company but I cant say the same of GMO because it could be put to use in many other ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

just because 'a corporation' may do moral things does not mean that's the directive of 'corporations' in the broad sense. you're confusing climate and weather.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First