What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

61 Replies - 3275 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Raw honey and coconut butter on ezekiel toast is one of my favorite things ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

I get most of the food I eat from a farm share. It's all organic and non-GMO (apart from selection by breeding, of course) but more importantly it's all from farms within a few hundred miles of me, and none of it ever sits around in a warehouse. The corn I pick up on Wednesday afternoon was picked on Wednesday morning.

This works for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 15 August 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

Good enough to be approved by the FDA and Federal Health Inspection, good enough for me. Humans have an immune system that has survived thousands of years here on Earth, a large portion spent in less than sanitary conditions.

... and it was because of those conditions that human life expectancy was so dramatically low during those thousands of years.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#19 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 15 August 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

Good enough to be approved by the FDA and Federal Health Inspection, good enough for me. Humans have an immune system that has survived thousands of years here on Earth, a large portion spent in less than sanitary conditions.

To this I will reply that I gave up eating Twizzlers. One of my favorite snack foods for coding. I was reading the ingredients & the last one was sulfur dioxide. Well that doesn't sound editable. So I looked it up, & as per the wiki it's a volcanic gas. Oh sure, it's considered safe for consumption, but should I really be eating a toxic by-product? Do I really need ' a toxic gas with a pungent, irritating smell' in my food? No thanks. The FDA might approve of it, but that doesn't mean my immune system does (& I eat shit off the floor). Dirt is one thing. Toxic gas? No.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

But, if it is the last ingredient listed it the least amount and that makes it ok, right?

Ingredient lists drive me crazy. When it gets down to sounding like a chemistry experiment I just put it back on the shelf. I don't know whether they actually use all those chemicals in the raw form or if they are all part of a more complex ingredient and they are trying to keep the recipe a secret?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 16 August 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 15 August 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

To this I will reply that I gave up eating Twizzlers. One of my favorite snack foods for coding. I was reading the ingredients & the last one was sulfur dioxide. Well that doesn't sound editable. So I looked it up, & as per the wiki it's a volcanic gas. Oh sure, it's considered safe for consumption, but should I really be eating a toxic by-product? Do I really need ' a toxic gas with a pungent, irritating smell' in my food? No thanks. The FDA might approve of it, but that doesn't mean my immune system does (& I eat shit off the floor). Dirt is one thing. Toxic gas? No.

The sugar in the Twizzlers would have done more harm than the sulfur dioxide unless you have a sensitivity to sulfur dioxide.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Note, sulfur dioxide is in nearly all commercial wine. It's used as a "stopper" to halt fermentation, by killing all live yeast dead.

Some people have a sensitivity to the stuff and even blame it for the severity of hangovers with some reds. People who have issues with wine in particular often have no issue with unsulfited wines.

It's curious that it's in twizzlers. I can only assume it's a preservative (kills microbes dead.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Monsanto is terrible, but GMO is not necessarily bad.

I think both the benefits of organic food and the downsides of GMOs have been extremely exaggerated, and both are practically negligible.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 15 August 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

The sun genetically modifies your food.

No. It does not.

The hell it doesn't!

Cosmic rays from the sun are mutating the genes of every life form on the planet, all the time. Of course this applies to life that is exposed to the sun. Even an occasional neutrino will penetrate the nucleus of some life form and trigger a mutation, even for the nocturnals.

EDIT: Replied before reading all the replies by others who have written essentially the same thing. :)

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 16 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'm rather indiscriminate in what I put in my body, for better or for worse. My favorite drink's ingredient list might as well read "carbonated water, fracking chemicals, caffeine". I've lived off of diet limes cokes, pop tarts, PB&Js, chipotle, and Jimmy Johns for 2 months (this last June and July in fact). I don't feel any worse for the ware but I'll tell you what, I sure as hell am tired of PB&Js and chipotle; accept for the last couple weeks I ate those two things almost every day.

During the school year I eat whatever is cheap. Generally this means dorm food. Once a week splurge but I generally splurge on something pretty bad for me like a big fat ass burger from a local brewery/steak place (holy shit they have the best burgers). So basically I'm horrible to my body. My body doesn't seem to care too much however.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 16 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Self abuse is a privilege of youth, I'm afraid. Young adults can often get away with all kinds of self destructive behavior. Until they hit 30, or 35, or maybe as high as 40. Then, bang, one day the body tells them the party's over and it's time for payback.

You don't think it will happen to you. No one does. Enjoy it while you can.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 17 August 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Self abuse is a privilege of youth, I'm afraid.

That hasn't been my experience.
If you know what I mean.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Perhaps I should say abuse resistance degrades. Self abuse is, of course, always an option of the human condition. Freewill, if you believe in that sort of thing, is a bitch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Fine. To be clear, in the context of GMO ( "genetically modified organism is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques" ) we are talking about "germline mutation" not "somatic mutation." This is NOT same thing as the odd copy error you get from a myriad of environmental factors.

If you want to be pedantic, a percentage of any organism can contain cells with environmentally induced mutations at any given moment. However, to call a sun burnt cancer ridden carrot "genetically modified" is kind of missing the point.

To be clear you were the one who brought up things out side of GMO by bringing up the breeding practices we've done with food for millenia. The joke was a bit of a reference to that topic, the joke was being pedantic for the sake of humor. And instead of recognizing the joke, you instead stated that they were wrong... which they weren't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

GMO or not...I prefer Papa John's pizza over the ultra greasy Pizza Hut and the ultra bland Domino's.

Papa John's thin crust pizza rocks for blocks at my house.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »