What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

• (5 Pages)
  • +

61 Replies - 3366 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is your opinion on GMO foods and organic foods?

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

I've always found that smaller regional places have better pizza than big chains. This place is in a town where I used to go to boarding school. They have the best pizza in town hands down. In the town I go to college in now I'd say a small regional chain (there are 5 locations all within <100 miles of each other) called Wheat state pizza is the best. My link in Madison, where my uncle/aunt/cuzs live, has amazing pizza too.

Those are all in more liberal towns and regionally owned so I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided GMO and preferred "organic" food instead.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

In theory, yeah I think it would be sweet.

However, when you involve corporations then the ultimate goal becomes profit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

My whole family, and myself have been learning about GMO's, gluten, etc. All of which have been the direct cause of many of our health problems. Eliminating them has also eliminated a lot of issues for my family. That's my two cents. On top of that High fructose corn syrup blows, and any and all food outside of the United States hasn't given me any health problems which is why I try to save all my food munching fun for when I travel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 15 August 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

GMO is fundamentally evil.

This, to me is a ridiculous argument. I don't understand how you can state with such absolution that a science ,no matter how fundamentally influenced by a company with poor moral grounding, is evil. How can you believe that the knowledge of how to do something which causes no proven direct harm is evil? Hate Monsanto as much as you please but these kinds of statements are not how new things are developed. I myself don't really care too much if my food is GMO or organic and I eat relatively healthy discounting the distinction.

This post has been edited by Barrett122: 19 August 2013 - 05:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 18 August 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

the joke was being pedantic for the sake of humor

Yep, I missed it. Judging from other responses, I was no alone. Sorry.

View Posttrevster344, on 19 August 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

food outside of the United States hasn't given me any health problems

Strangely, I experienced the same. My wife is intolerant to a number of ingredients, but outside the US they just don't seem to hit as hard.

Gluten... I have a theory. I believe the huge surge in intolerance may the result of pre modern-GMOs. Humans breed for size and resilience; nutrition is assumed. Is it possible we have created gluten intolerance based on the grains we prefer to cultivate? Perhaps modern GMOs have merely accelerated this existing condition? Studies suggest that one of the most ancient strains of wheat, einkorn, doesn't spike blood sugar like the common forms and might even be tolerated by those who otherwise have issues with gluten.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

I love when they place the organic label on bananas of which are already insect resistant and are usually not treated with any chemicals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

View PostBarrett122, on 19 August 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

This, to me is a ridiculous argument. I don't understand how you can state with such absolution that a science ,no matter how fundamentally influenced by a company with poor moral grounding, is evil. How can you believe that the knowledge of how to do something which causes no proven direct harm is evil? Hate Monsanto as much as you please but these kinds of statements are not how new things are developed. I myself don't really care too much if my food is GMO or organic and I eat relatively healthy discounting the distinction.

I wouldn't go based off of what science tells me. Trial and error has worked for ages. Try it for yourself, and you see if you've cured something whether or not it's indigestion, heartburn, constipation, any number of simple things we write off in our daily lives as just "living". Hell it could be headaches. That's how I know that stuff is terrible. I started off having serious issues such as nausea, stomach aches, and heart burn after I ate lots of breads with GMO's, and Gluten. Wipe them out of my diet for 3 days and some how I can eat all the sugars, and salts that I can think of and the result is no heart burn. You might be thinking well that doesn't prove anything, and you'd be wrong as I went to every single supposed doctor in my state to figure out what was going on. Healthy Gaul Bladder, Liver, Kidneys, everything was sound. Not a scratch, not a tink, only normal function and that was using Ultra sounds, MRI's, etc. What a discovery that was for me considering I was approaching serious damage to my esophagus as well and I'm a sugar junky. Your typical person would say "take some medicine for it" or "slow down when eating". I tried both. Your typical over the counter medication for heartburn actually causes more acid to be made in ones stomach leading to worse heartburn later on, and slowing down eating just delayed how long it was till I got heartburn in the day(Typically 30 more minutes or less). This is what tells me what I should and shouldn't have in my diet.

The United States is one of the only countries that heavily supports GMO's, and I don't blame them as the theory is sound but it's like the quote in Jurassic Park. They kept thinking if they could, and not whether or not they should. No other explanation as to why eating outside of the United States makes me feel better than eating in my own country, but I sure wish it was the other way around. Fortunately things are moving along here and there are more GMO free products every day we go along.

This post has been edited by trevster344: 19 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'd like to take a moment in this conversation to point two things out:

Gluten != GMO

And this.

Now, is the link a reputable source? That's something that can be debated (and I'm sure it prolly will be) but the article was produced just 3 months ago and when it starts out with "genetically modified wheat is not to blame for the hikes in celiac and gluten sensitivity ... for the simple reason that GMO wheat simply isn't being grown commercially (yet)" it kind of makes you think that tying the two (gluten intolerance and GMO wheat) is more the product of the barely informed rather than fact.

If GMO wheat isn't in commercial production in the US as yet, how did you manage to acquire a GMO wheat gluten sensitivity in response to it?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostCraig328, on 19 August 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'd like to take a moment in this conversation to point two things out:

Gluten != GMO

And this.

Now, is the link a reputable source? That's something that can be debated (and I'm sure it prolly will be) but the article was produced just 3 months ago and when it starts out with "genetically modified wheat is not to blame for the hikes in celiac and gluten sensitivity ... for the simple reason that GMO wheat simply isn't being grown commercially (yet)" it kind of makes you think that tying the two (gluten intolerance and GMO wheat) is more the product of the barely informed rather than fact.

If GMO wheat isn't in commercial production in the US as yet, how did you manage to acquire a GMO wheat gluten sensitivity in response to it?

That's why I stated them separate otherwise I'd of states just gmo's. ;) on top of that gmo's aren't just in wheat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostBarrett122, on 19 August 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

This, to me is a ridiculous argument.

Quite. Because it is not an argument. It is a statement. Further contextualized with a "hate Monsanto as much as you please" statement.

View PostBarrett122, on 19 August 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

How can you believe that the knowledge of how to do something which causes no proven direct harm is evil?

Those are two questions. Knowledge can't be evil, it is simply knowledge. It's application, however...

Corporations are amoral by definition. Their edict is to manufacture wealth for their shareholders. Period. Any collateral damage is only meaningful to the extent that it affects the bottom line. This is not to say there can't be corporations that make morally enlightened choices, but they generally do so within the constraints of a profit margin.

GMOs, as pushed by a global monopoly that has defended its interests to the exclusion of any kind of common good, are...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

View Posttrevster344, on 19 August 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

That's why I stated them separate otherwise I'd of states just gmo's. ;)/> on top of that gmo's aren't just in wheat.

I started off having serious issues such as nausea, stomach aches, and heart burn after I ate lots of breads with GMO's, and Gluten.

My bad. My English proficiency must be slipping again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostCraig328, on 19 August 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Gluten != GMO

Agreed. I was merely noting that sensitives to wheat have changed over time in possible reaction to how we traditionally engineer our seed. And that GMO strains could exacerbate this.

However, disturbingly, Monsanto wheat is currently available. Albeit not quite commercially: http://www.reuters.c...N0F40QR20130628
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I don't know. I guess if you have a predisposition against Monsanto you can glean what you like from that link. They shipped the strains to the USDA back in '04, the seed was kept in a government storage facility and Monsanto was shutting down their research into the strains at the time...and then it pops up in an Oregon field earlier this year seven years later...after the seed stock was supposedly destroyed early last year.

Sounds a lot more likely to me that the issue was with how the government agency handled the security of the materials they're entrusted with rather than Monsanto surreptitiously seeding some farmer's field in Oregon. If they had a secret program to continue research on an herbicide resistant wheat strain they'd likely be able to locate a field they own to do field research. I mean, it's not like they lack the resources to do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

two issues at hand i suppose, so it's better to separate them.

1. as far as gmo vs organic, i don't really care personally, my girlfriend only eats the organic shit though. as long as it's labeled so people can make the decisions for themselves what they prefer, i think that's good enough.

2. the backing monsato has as a corporation to go around the legal system and avoid legitimate legal challenges to their product is wack as fuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I was alone. I was thinking of you.

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

View Posttrevster344, on 19 August 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I wouldn't go based off of what science tells me. Trial and error has worked for ages.

Posted Image

View Posttrevster344, on 19 August 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Try it for yourself, and you see if you've cured something whether or not it's indigestion, heartburn, constipation, any number of simple things we write off in our daily lives as just "living". Hell it could be headaches. That's how I know that stuff is terrible. I started off having serious issues such as nausea, stomach aches, and heart burn after I ate lots of breads with GMO's, and Gluten. Wipe them out of my diet for 3 days and some how I can eat all the sugars, and salts that I can think of and the result is no heart burn. You might be thinking well that doesn't prove anything, and you'd be wrong as I went to every single supposed doctor in my state to figure out what was going on. Healthy Gaul Bladder, Liver, Kidneys, everything was sound. Not a scratch, not a tink, only normal function and that was using Ultra sounds, MRI's, etc. What a discovery that was for me considering I was approaching serious damage to my esophagus as well and I'm a sugar junky. Your typical person would say "take some medicine for it" or "slow down when eating". I tried both. Your typical over the counter medication for heartburn actually causes more acid to be made in ones stomach leading to worse heartburn later on, and slowing down eating just delayed how long it was till I got heartburn in the day(Typically 30 more minutes or less). This is what tells me what I should and shouldn't have in my diet.
So what you're saying is that you have no evidence of long-term damage or harmful effects from GMOs and medications

The United States is one of the only countries that heavily supports GMO's, and I don't blame them as the theory is sound but it's like the quote in Jurassic Park. They kept thinking if they could, and not whether or not they should. No other explanation as to why eating outside of the United States makes me feel better than eating in my own country, but I sure wish it was the other way around. Fortunately things are moving along here and there are more GMO free products every day we go along.

I can think of plenty of explanations as to why eating outside of the US makes you feel better than eating within, none of which require some weird dichotomy of GMO or Healthy. All of which are perfectly reasonable.

Malcolm's stance was that man shouldn't play god.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +