4 Replies - 2754 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ftp. or ftp:// whats the difference?

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm new to FTP servers so I don't know much about it. I'm working on a project, the program has to download a file from a server, the server is not predefined so the users have to enter the host details by themselves.

Now I really don't know the difference between the ftp.<host> and ftp://<host>.

Is it the same or do I need to use the ftp. for an IP and the ftp:// for a domainname, or can I just switch these?

Hope you understand my question,
Brecht

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ftp. or ftp:// whats the difference?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ftp. or ftp:// whats the difference?

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

ftp is a protocal. So putting ftp:// into the web browser tells it what protocol to use. That's why http:// & https:// use different ports. You can also use telnet:// & some others. The browser &/or the OS will be configured to use specific applications, or the browser itself, to access the functionality of that protocol.

So ftp <address> & ftp:// are the same thing to the server that you connect to. Your client will still make a request to the address to make a connection on the ftp port. Using ftp <address> will use whatever program you are using (file-zilla, command line) & ftp:// uses the browser to use whatever is set as the program to use for that protocol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Those are two different things.

With "ftp.<website name>.com" that means a site has a subdomain with a prefix of FTP and that typically directs to the actual ftp information.

The ftp:// in "ftp://<website name>.com" operates like HTTP. It tells the browser to be looking for FTP information and not, say, a webpage.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Ahhh, I mis-read the question. ftp.host is a subdomain. That means that the web server (apache/iis) will host the files over the web interface, rather than the ftp port.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Oh ok, thanks!

I needed to clear that up because I was mixing them up so my program didn't work. But now I now what is what it will go much faster and easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1