3 Replies - 333 Views - Last Post: 09 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

A little known IE feature

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

I haven't seen anything about this in my years at DIC, or elsewhere on the web, but I tripped over it recently and decided that it would be useful to let others know of its existence.

Everyone always complains that IE doesn't follow the standards, however there is a way to force it to. That is by the x-ua-compatible meta tag (more info). If you set the meta tag, and have a valid doctype in your file, it will force rendering in the standard (as close as IE is capable of doing at least).

What does this mean for you? Well, whenever you are coding a site for IE8+ and use the edge x-ua-compatible meta tag you can be assured that IE will render standard CSS2 (or higher if it is capable) so you won't have to fight it as much with the browser quirks.

Hopefully some of you find this interesting enough to not simply abandon IE altogether (as I know some already have).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: A little known IE feature

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: A little known IE feature

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Since IE is the default web browser on windows computers, a lot of people still use it. Making your website support IE is important for many reasons. Even if it has it's quirks, no-one should just drop complete support for it... You don't want to loose potential clients because the page won't load, or the page's features don't function properly under IE...

Thanks for bringing this up, I never knew it existed either...

After a bit of reasearch, This website gives a good description with an example:

Use the X-UA-Compatible meta tag on web pages where you suspect that Internet Explorer 8 will attempt to render the page in an incorrect view. Such as when you have an XHTML document with an XML declaration. The XML declaration at the top of the document will throw the page into compatibility view but the DOCTYPE declaration should force it to be rendered in standards view.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

We use this tag to help us override any compatibility mode issues that we experience on our intranet applications in IE8 (IE8 is our standard, sadly). One thing to keep in mind is that this tag can be picky about where it is placed and should be placed directly after the <head> tag in your markup. I learned this the hard way.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for this, never seen this tag!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1