5 Replies - 9505 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

computer science major for math idiot

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

i am a senior in high school and i will be going to college next year. for about a year and a half now i have loved programming and have wanted to be computer science major in college. however, i suck ass at math. it has always been my worse subject and has kept me from having a 3.5 GPA. I have heard the math in a computer science major is really hard and i dont know if i can handle it. Does anyone have any advice on whether i should i go for it even though i am bad at math?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: computer science major for math idiot

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: computer science major for math idiot

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

If you love it then you'll have to find a way, right? So you are not amazing at math - that doesn't mean you cannot put in the extra grease to make up for it. Sure that may be a few less videogames, or a long stretch of nights in the library studying but it doesn't preclude you from putting your nose to the grid stone.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postshortbus, on 16 August 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

i am a senior in high school and i will be going to college next year. for about a year and a half now i have loved programming and have wanted to be computer science major in college. however, i suck ass at math. it has always been my worse subject and has kept me from having a 3.5 GPA. I have heard the math in a computer science major is really hard and i dont know if i can handle it. Does anyone have any advice on whether i should i go for it even though i am bad at math?

Mate, don't stress too much. I left school a year early and did nothing with my brain for years! Then I decided to do a degree at university and I am currently in my second semester. So far there has been little math. Some simple algebra like:
x = 10, y = 20
sum = x + y

and applying formulas like standard deviation or what not. For the programming languages you will learning first semester (java, c++ or c) there are math libraries that help you. Like sqrt() in Java, just like using a calculator. The textbooks are very gentle aswell and bring up to the concepts slowly. Plus you'll be at Uni and make friends that can help you!

To be honest though, most Universities will have you do math like linear algebra, calculus in the second semester. But you don't have to do them in that order here. I'm not doing any math units unil the final semester of my second year! lol, I'm putting it off for aslong as I can. You Uni may be different though and some units may require the math units as prerequisites but make a table and organise. But I know that I will just have to apply myself twice as much and ask my smart friend twice as many questions! Btw I am doing a software egineering major.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

I tend to agree with Modi. There is math involved, but you'll either have to learn to deal with it or switch majors. If you want to focus on more business applications, perhaps a BIT or CIS route is more up your alley.

While CS has some math involved (particularly in the theory aspects), you can usually get away in most of your CS classes with minimal amounts of math. Aside from the standard Calculus and Differential equations courses, you may find yourself taking classes like Discrete Math, Combinatorics and Graph Theory, and Linear Algebra. The latter three courses tend to focus on more CS applicable math than the algebra, trig, and calculus you have encountered up throughout high school. These three courses will also show up in your CS classes like Algorithm Analysis.

I'm a math major, and most of what I do is very CS applicable. I've gotten to the point though where I focus on abstracts, concepts, and proofs over number crunching. You may find those kinds of math classes more enjoyable to the lower-level math courses you'll take with the engineers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

The core major courses don't really require any tough math. There are upper-graduate courses -- like simulation, graphics, or advanced algorithm analysis -- that are more math intensive, but you don't have to take them. They require LOGIC!! You'll probably have to take one or two calculus courses and a discrete math course, and maybe a statistics course. If you think you can manage to get through them, then you'll be fine.

A CS degree requires hard work, creativity, systematic thinking, and the ability to solve problems. Compared to a Chemistry, Math, or Physics major, the math in CS doesn't even come close. Don't get me wrong, Math is intimately related to CS, but as far as getting a degree is concerned, Math is not the focus. It's true that Math-minded people excel in CS and programming though. If your good at Math, you'll likely by good at CS/programming, but the contrary is not necessarily true.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 17 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postshortbus, on 16 August 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Does anyone have any advice on whether i should i go for it even though i am bad at math?

I am going to ask you to check out this link http://patrickjmt.com/ This guy is a math God and he is the reason that I passed Calc 1 and 2. He is beyond clear and you can pause & rewind over and over again until you understand it. He teaches up to Linear Algebra, which you are gonna need for CS.

Also, if you want to check your work for more complex problems (since its easier than a calculator), go to http://www.wolframalpha.com/ and enter your question there. It will even show you how to solve it, if you ask them. For example, when you get to calc and you would want to solve a derivative, you would enter it like this: differentiate 23X^4

Good luck dude! Don't get discouraged!

This post has been edited by streek405: 20 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1