2 Replies - 4851 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Portfolio review

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

I am completely redesigning my portfolio. Both backend and frontend.
So I would love some input on what needs more work and pointers on how to fix those issues.

new.chaosbrush.com
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Portfolio review

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Portfolio review

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

If you are going to have those giant images on the home page for "Illustration", "Design", "Film" they should be clickable links to the right pages.

I don't think those website screen shots help you much. What's with all the wasted space? (small picture on a larger matte). It would be nice if those were larger and clickable to the actual sites you are bragging you made so the viewer can see how well they act. A single screenshot of the home page doesn't mean much.

I don't know as I'd be putting that 'TuxCanon' shot up as bragging about my game making skills. Its a few rectangles and a circle. Most first year rookies could probably do that just as part of learning the API. Its not going to HELP you land a job and might do more harm than good. Maybe if you could play the game over the web browser ....

The illustrations certainly show your skill. But they might be a bit 'dark' for posting next to your resume/CV, unless you are trying to get just dark graphic novel jobs. Some lighter stuff showing a widerrange of subject matter might make the average H.R. person worry less about you bringing a machette to work one day.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 17 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New Portfolio review

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 17 August 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

If you are going to have those giant images on the home page for "Illustration", "Design", "Film" they should be clickable links to the right pages.

They should be clickable, are you sure that it does not work?

I don't think those website screen shots help you much. What's with all the wasted space? (small picture on a larger matte). It would be nice if those were larger and clickable to the actual sites you are bragging you made so the viewer can see how well they act. A single screenshot of the home page doesn't mean much.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention that the screenshots need to be clickable as well. I only made the titles link directly to a live demo, as I thought it would be obvious.

I wonder what you think about the "year" sections. Are they any helpful? Could I benefit from changing the order of the sites or even removing some of them?

I don't know as I'd be putting that 'TuxCanon' shot up as bragging about my game making skills. Its a few rectangles and a circle. Most first year rookies could probably do that just as part of learning the API. Its not going to HELP you land a job and might do more harm than good. Maybe if you could play the game over the web browser ....

Thanks! I will remove it :)/>

The illustrations certainly show your skill. But they might be a bit 'dark' for posting next to your resume/CV, unless you are trying to get just dark graphic novel jobs. Some lighter stuff showing a widerrange of subject matter might make the average H.R. person worry less about you bringing a machette to work one day.

This is a tough one. I really want to display my illustrations, but as you noted they are all quite dark. And as you say, it might scare away potential employers. The problem is that I do not enjoy making "light" illustrations, and if I try they are almost always prone to disaster. My hope is that developer employers will ignore the illustration link because it is not relevant (though I guess they would check it out anways...). -Any advice?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1