0 Replies - 319 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to Store Input of Many People and Display It Back?

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is AtheistZilla, I've been a Web Developer for 2 years and I'm new to this SIDE of dream.in.code. I'm working on a side project of myself and basically its going to be an MMO text based MUD that many users, probably in groups of 5 to 10 will be able to hop on and complete MUDS in realm time on one screen that they can also use to talk to each other on.

My question is, I need to figure out the 'right' way to take in everyone's input, store it, and then display it on the screen that everyone can see. I'm trying to find somewhere where I can understand how Chat IM's work and things like that. I havent dove this far into PHP for this kind of stuff.

I imagine that I would store the users commands in a database that I would grab with PHP, print them to a div that everyone has access to (Players specify what IP Address to connect to), and then just refresh that div with some AJAX? Parse the commands from the database with some PHP and update the game results with that.

Is this the correct way of doing it? I also imagined that there must be specific tables for specific IP's, that hold a 'rooms' command list. I also thought that once the game is over, it will just auto delete the table so there's not a build up of excess and useless information in the database.

If anyone could help, this would be awesome. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1