1 Replies - 226 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Doing Web Design As A Business On The Side What's Your Advice?

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

So I've had some programming experience in the past way in the past with unrelated languages and lately I've been moving more into C# and more modern languages including development for the web like PHP Javascript etc. I'm not going to say I'm the best programmer in the world but I don't think I am bad at this point probably somewhere in the middle. I've thought about creating my own web design business. I have a lot of questions here that you more experienced guys in the business can hopefully answer for me.

So the first thing I can't decide is whether or not I should provide reselling hosting to my clients. It appears that you can make monthly income off of this but I've also read a lot of horror stories on the internet in regards to people becoming re sellers and and having constant issues.

What are people's experiences here and is it worth becoming a re-seller if you're focus is on web design?

Lastly I don't want to go into too many details here, but I've analyzed my competition here in the local market and I have analyzed my competition. Many of them openly admit that they use WORDPRESS almost constantly for most of their clients.

I have nothing against wordpress, but it seems a lot of developers now think it's a be-all end-all for everything related to the internet.

I myself will many times use frameworks to help me (especially CSS frameworks like Bootstrap), but I consider that customization and talent where nothing is handed too you with the PHP MYSQL ,Javascript/Jquery HTML CSS etc. etc.

It looks like a lot of these cheaper web developers don't even program most of their stuff anymore. That said I've I'll admit I've never used Wordpress for complicated websites beyond CMS content management or blogging.

In other words say your client needs a website where there's something complicated but specific to their business for example a coupon code that can only be entered once by valued customers for their next order at 50% off (I'm making this up) but complicated solutions like that could TECHNICALLY be done on Wordpress but that would seem bulk and likely harder then just custom custom coding stuff from the beginning is that right?

Can experienced Wordpress developers develop more non-conventional things using Wordpress for complex sites? I don't know? Is it worth focusing on being a Wordpress developer these days if you are doing web development?

Should Wordpress be used for complicated websites beyond just CMS. Why are so many so called "professional web developers" using Wordpress for almost everything? What's your advice? Should I re-sell hosting?

I appreciate anything you guys have to say. Peace Guys!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Doing Web Design As A Business On The Side What's Your Advice?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Doing Web Design As A Business On The Side What's Your Advice?

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

I can't comment on the re-selling issue, but I've recently been involved with setting up a WordPress site that goes a bit beyond it's traditional blogging scope. My advice would be to steer clear of it for anything more advanced than blogging and perhaps simple e-commerce. (And when I say "simple", I really really mean that!)

Why? Well, mostly because WordPress was originally designed for blogging, and this fact is reflected quite obviously in it's database structure and code. A lot of additional features are now available for it, but that base structure is still very much there, both in the data and in the code. I've seen WP addons meant to add more complex functionality to it that simply wrap all their data into a serialized dump and store them as option values, or even a post, in WordPress' original database structure. That kind of crappy design is simply unacceptable.

So, yea. You can find a lot of features for it now, but the further away from the original blogging roots of the system they get, the more crappy their design is likely to be.

If you are interested in popular CMS solutions like WordPress, but built more generically, allowing more flexible addon creation, then I'd look into CMS solutions like Drupal or Joomla. I've got no personal experience with either, but based on what little I know about them, they should be far preferable as the basis for advanced systems than WordPress. They've also got large communities, so you are likely to find a lot of existing addons for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1