I don't know how to tell my current employer that i may be leaving

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2178 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I don't know how to tell my current employer that i may be leaving

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm looking for new jobs and I have a technical interview tomorrow for a really promising position. I'm nervous about the interview because I really want the job and I think it is a really good move for me. It's more of what I like to do, better pay and a strong stable environment in which to work.

I'm also nervous about how to approach my current employer to tell them that I have been looking and may have found a job that will take me. My current employer has issues with anxiety and as the only other employee of his business he has stressed that he truly appreciates me more than he can allocate to pay me.

I know he truly values me as an employee and a friend but I can no longer support my family on what he is paying. I'm afraid that if I leave he might struggle dealing with having no help in running his company and that it might make things he already struggles with, like his anxiety, worse.

How would you handle it if you were in my position? I don't want to upset him or make him think he drove me away but I just cannot stay as my financial burden is too great.

This post has been edited by TechnoBear: 19 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I don't know how to tell my current employer that i may be leaving

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I don't know how to tell my current employer that i may be leaving

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

I just cannot stay as my financial burden is too great.

You state it just like that (after you get the other job). Add in some "I appreciate the opportunity and time we've had here" and have a list of things to take care, document, and transfer knowledge for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

I guess I'm more worried about how he will take the news as I do not really have the option open to stay. I'm concerned for him and his business in that if I was able I would still offer help however my new job and my family would need to take precedent
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

It is nice you are concerned, but you need to get past that.you are just an employee, not a part owner, relative, or so forth. This is why you give two weeks notice - so they can scramble to find someone to fill the position. If you know someone - hell offer them up as a candidate. At the end of the day this is a grown adult that chose to crease a small business on their own. You need to do what's best for your pod and they will have to figure it out.

I'm concerned for him and his business in that if I was able I would still offer help however my new job and my family would need to take precedent

Help as needed, but typically these sorts of offerings get abused, horribly. Maybe off some extended knowledge transfer for anyone new, but you you don't you'll find yourself being a part-time-come-fulltime employee with a large guilt millstone around your neck.

.. because "it'll only be one more month and I'll find your candidate until you wake up and it's a year later.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#5 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Unless you are an owner always go by the motto "everyone is expendable". Just because you think you are irreplacable doesnt mean you really are. There is always someone somewhere in the waiting. You should always do what is best for you and your family.

Also wait until you landed the new job before saying anything to the current job...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

My contract only requires 2 weeks notice but I was hoping to ask my potential employer to give me 4 weeks to give notice if they can so that I can ensure that they can find someone else or I can teach somebody how to do what I do.

We just did a whole new hardware & software installation and currently other that the documentation I have written up I am the only one who knows how to work it all.

View PostDarenR, on 19 August 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Also wait until you landed the new job before saying anything to the current job...

I intend to land the job before I say anything. I don't wish to cause him worry without reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostTechnoBear, on 19 August 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

My contract only requires 2 weeks notice but I was hoping to ask my potential employer to give me 4 weeks to give notice if

good luck on this---- most companies that i have ever worked for either
a) let you do 2 weeks
B) released you on the spot after you gave 2 weeks

or the hiring company either:
a) says ok to a max of 2 weeks prior to start
B) wants you right away
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

If you are up for burning some bridges...

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 19 August 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

If you are up for burning some bridges...

I think it would be best for me to maintain a good reference. I have yet to get references since moving to this country.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

& knowing what not to do, is the first step in knowing what to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Something else you could do assuming there is not issue with moonlighting is to figure out a bill rate for your "consulting" services and give that to your former employer should they need your help.

It should force them find someone faster since they likely won't want to pay your high fee and if they really do need your help, your pockets won't be empty after the fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

The issue with how much they pay does not come from them not wanting to. It is a community radio station and as such relies of the public to fund it, this means that my pay is set to what they can afford as opposed to what I am worth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

I have always taken the frame of mind that if I can do better for myself and family by taking another job then I will take it. If my boss wants to try to hold me back instead of being happy for me doing something better for myself then screw them I didn't need them as a boss/friend anyway. My experiences with changing jobs has always been good. My old bosses were sad to me go but happy I found something I wanted to do or a better opportunity. Just give your two weeks and have no regrets.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 August 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

It is nice you are concerned, but you need to get past that.you are just an employee, not a part owner, relative, or so forth. This is why you give two weeks notice - so they can scramble to find someone to fill the position. If you know someone - hell offer them up as a candidate. At the end of the day this is a grown adult that chose to crease a small business on their own. You need to do what's best for your pod and they will have to figure it out.

100% this.
To me, supporting my family is more important than anything. So if I found employment getting paid more doing something interesting I'm all over it.

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 August 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I'm concerned for him and his business in that if I was able I would still offer help however my new job and my family would need to take precedent

Help as needed, but typically these sorts of offerings get abused, horribly. Maybe off some extended knowledge transfer for anyone new, but you you don't you'll find yourself being a part-time-come-fulltime employee with a large guilt millstone around your neck.

.. because "it'll only be one more month and I'll find your candidate until you wake up and it's a year later.

Again.. 100% this.
Give him your 2 week notice. Thank him for the opportunity and experience. Shake his hand firmly while making eye contact and smile, work your two weeks and move on. It's not your responsibility to fill your soon to be vacant position.

This post has been edited by torind_2000: 19 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Personally, I wouldn't mention extending the notice period until you have secured the job. Even then I would try to gauge earlier whether they need, or want, you to start quickly; if they do, I wouldn't mention extending the notice period at all - they may misinterpret your good intentions.

Well, to be frank, I probably wouldn't even try to extend it.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 19 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +