3 Replies - 1158 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A simple Database for “Applications”

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

Back in time, AutoCAD 11-12, the application, you may call it, was made in AutoLisp.
I extracted project info into a text file. From ver. 14 I upgraded my lisp programs to VBA,
and always starting by making a Tools Module. This Module (containing Functions) could read,
write, delete, copy,… text files. Those files could be imported to a Dbase or whatever program
the company was using for making lists of what to buy.

Yesterday I started to build my Tour Program. All files in use are Word and Excel, so I started
by reading Word document and Excel file. I ended by copying the word document and pasted it
into a textbox (saving it as a text file) lmao. My Dbase is back in a text file (some little
info in Excel though) today, and my System Tools are in a class.

Is it easier to work with a homemade database like this, or am I doing something wrong?

Stefx

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: A simple Database for “Applications”

#2 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A simple Database for “Applications”

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

A database does a lot of useful things for you:

- atomic transactions
- multiple connections
- maintaining relationships between records and files
- access control
- rollback
- indexing
- searching
- sorting
- complex queries in a language designed for the job (SQL)

Even if you "know" you only need searching and sorting (and they are easy to program yourself) you should still strongly consider a database. Scope creep is an insidious thing and before you know it, you've implemented an inefficient and buggy DBMS. (Coming from a Lisp background, you'll be familiar with that sort of argument ;) )
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thank you cfoley.

Before I started I did a test on DB’s, I was thinking a little like you wrote. I think they scared the brain out of me – It’s huge!
So to calm down a little I decided to use something I knew all about – a simple homemade dbase. Though, I did modify (upgrade) it a bit. Instead of only a text document, I added both Excel and Word document.

When this job finish I gonna check the dbase out again. If I ever get a new job of a kind, I’ll be prepared. :sweatdrop:/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

It’s huge!

Mind-bogglingly so! That's why companies have database administrators. I'd find a database 101 syllabus from a university and familiarise myself with the material there. It should be easy to add to that foundation as and when your project requires or interest allows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1