9 Replies - 2159 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Looking for coder] Minecraft Control Panel >commercial when finis

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hello there!

As you can probably tell by the title I'm looking to partner up with someone to make a Minecraft Control Panel.
If you don't know what Minecraft is, it's a sandbox game written in Java (minecraft (dot) net)

I'm a web developer with very good knowledge of PHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL and Javascript (a bit).

Since I would be doing the website part of the control panel (in Laravel, a PHP framework) I will need someone to code the software that controls a/the Minecraft server(s).
The way it works is that you have a Linux server on which Java instances (the Minecraft server software) are spawned.
Now the control panel would allow the user to interact with a web interface so they can Start/stop/restart their server, as well as have access to other features like backups, player list, console viewing and command sending.

The way I think would work best is to have an HTTP listener that waits for commands from the web interface, and interacts with the Java processes. (I know, it sounds a lot easier than it is. But I'd be happy to discuss this further)

Eventually once the product is finished, I would love to make it a public and commercial thing WITH you, selling the product to Minecraft hosts as a lot of new hosts are appearing.
Now there are already a few big panels out there, such as Multicraft, SpaceBukkit, McMyAdmin and CraftSRV (beta).

SpaceBukkit and McMyAdmin are not easy to use for mass-deployment (which is what a host would need) so I'm confident it will be possible to create a new product that allows easy mass-deployment with features others panel do not offer, especially if this product will be cheaper than Multicraft (around $0.55-$0.75 per Minecraft server).

If you're interested, please add me on Skype: refluxltd

Thanks in advance!

~ Jeffrey

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Looking for coder] Minecraft Control Panel >commercial when finis

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Looking for coder] Minecraft Control Panel >commercial when finis

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Moving to 'post a job'. (from python)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi modi123_1,

Apologies for posting in the wrong section. Thanks.

~ Jeffrey
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

Still looking :S
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Artaex,

I must admit, it sounds like an interesting project but your pitch makes me think this is a "I want a Facebook clone and you know how to program, can you do it for $300/stock options?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi snoj,

I have left out a lot of details because I want to partner with someone, meaning I don't want to be making all decisions and that any suggestions are welcome.
Minecraft control panels always have basic features such as start/stop/restart, console view and command sending.
But there is a lot of things I would like to make better with this new control panel, compared to existing ones.

I have worked in the Minecraft hosting business for about a year and I know Multicraft quite well.
From a host's point of view, I also see that it's lacking features and simple improvements to make it easier for the user/host.
Sure I could modify Multicraft's web interface, but nobody else would be able to share that same experience unless they had the exact same modified panel.

That's why I want to create a Minecraft control panel that beats all the others.
And trust me, if this product is cheaper than for example Multicraft and has the exact same features or better, it can do exactly that.

That said, still looking for a Python coder :3

~ Jeffrey
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

View Postsnoj, on 25 August 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Artaex,

I must admit, it sounds like an interesting project but your pitch makes me think this is a "I want a Facebook clone

Well, this sounds like a bit of work, but not really facebook-amounts of work i think. Seems pretty doable for a single developer with some time to burn to build a server like this.

View Postsnoj, on 25 August 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

and you know how to program, can you do it for $300/stock options?"

Except Artaex himself would we writing the web side of things while the developer he seeks will write the server code. So it's not really a "You do the work, i'll rake in the cash" - kind of offer we unfortunately see way too often in this subforum.

Personally this sounds like a very neat project to me, and i'm quite sure i could build something like this (heck, i'm doing something similar on my daytime job), but unfortunately my spare time is pretty limited at the moment.

This post has been edited by JoopBananenbuiger: 26 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostArtaex, on 26 August 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

That said, still looking for a Python coder :3

Why Phyton? Minecraft servers run java (unless i'm horribly misstaken!) so why not write the server side of this project in java too? It's easy enough to build a SOAP/REST/whatever webservice in java (JAX-WS/JAX-RS) that a web frontend can communicate with. Add JBOSS (or another j2ee application server) and (a lot of coding :) and ) you have a solid backend.

(although this might be complete overkill for a project like this!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Python is more efficient than Java.
Not only that, but decompiling Java is a heck lot easier than Python.

~ Jeffrey

This post has been edited by Atli: 26 August 2013 - 02:27 AM
Reason for edit:: Fixed typo.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

I really don't want to start a programming language war in here, and i'm sure python and java can both work perfectly well in this role, but from tests i've seen java is overall a lot faster than (interpeted) python. Stats here.
If you run JITted python (like pypy), speed is about the same. Stats here.

Once again, just my experiences, and both languages work fine for this job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1