1 Replies - 1004 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on path: WebDev or SoftDev

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

First of all: Hello :P/>, sorry for possibility of opening the same thread as many others in the past but i guess there is a little story behind everyone. I don`t want this to be a war between which is better or anything like that, just maybe a small constructive topic which maybe can also help others.

Ok, to put it as simple as i can: i started to learn programming(mostly c++ but didn't make it to pointers or to the hard part to say so) some time ago but because of some health issues i had to cancel almost everything i planned so now i want to go back learning programming but the problem is that i don`t have to much time...I'm 24, i will go to a computer science uni this fall but that`s only for the degree because here in my country/town most of the universities have low lvl students/teachers and you won't end learning too much from them. My question basically is which path will get me a job as fast as possible? Web development or Software development? And no I'm not ridiculous saying that i want a job in a month or something like that, i understand that any choice i will make will take a good amount of time.

I was always a bit nerdy, techy and i found out that I like to code, i don`t necessary have a language preference you know? i just want to code, to create something. At first look it seems that web development seems easier and maybe would be easiest and fastest way but with software development seems that you can create more complex apps, you are basically more challenged ?

I think that at 24 it's my last "train" to do something, especially when it's about programming where every start is very hard and every day counts

So do you think that there is a difference between the two? or the learning time needed for both are roughly the same ? any kind of advice/opinion would really be appreciated!

Sorry it it's a silly topic but i had to ask, just trying to figure out my options.Thanks and have a nice day! :^:/>
Robert

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on path: WebDev or SoftDev

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on path: WebDev or SoftDev

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

My question basically is which path will get me a job as fast as possible? Web development or Software development?

Look at your local job boards.. talk to tech recruiters.. see what is bubbling around in your area. Honestly either will.. hell, but the time its said and done you should be competent to do both to varying degrees of success. Outside of that is your own learning ability, skill development, and retention.

At first look it seems that web development seems easier and maybe would be easiest and fastest way but with software development seems that you can create more complex apps, you are basically more challenged ?

They both have their challenges and easy paths..

I think that at 24 it's my last "train" to do something, especially when it's about programming where every start is very hard and every day counts

Yes.. because after 24 everything is down hill and you are forever and ever locked into what ever you have learned up until the stroke of midnight of your turning to be 25. Seriously - you can learn to program at any age.. well.. mostly.

or the learning time needed for both are roughly the same ?

Again that's up to you, your ability learn, retain, preconceived notions, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1