I saw this topic on SO, so i though i would ask the DIC people for their opinion. What do you think about these opinions?
- Programmers who don't code in their spare time for fun will never become as good as those that do.
- The only "best practice" you should be using all the time is "Use Your Brain".
- "Googling it" is okay!
- Most comments in code are in fact a pernicious form of code duplication.
- Not all programmers are created equal
- If you only know one language, no matter how well you know it, you're not a great programmer.
1. I'm all for being the best at what you do but everything in moderation, if coding is starting to interfere with your "normal life"(take that as you like) you need to stop and smell the roses, take a brake, go offline />
3. Googling is not always okay, google brought me here, and if people still tell me to google something i will never get the answers i'm looking for. I would spinning in circles from forum to forum just google, google, google.
5. Indeed, some are more intuitive and break in the knowledge more quickly than other, in actual fact, the performance of one developer can be 10x or even 100x that of another.
6.This is really a question, what is better JackOfAllTrades or being a specialist, i don't have opinion on this because i'm bit biased towards .NET />
What are your answers, experiences?