11 Replies - 279 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do I have to know about server configuration to be a web developer?

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

I love designing web sites and also love to program them. I am a PHP developer with 2 years of experience. Recently after working on a new project That I have decided to use a cloud server for I have noticed how little I know about servers and memory usage and RAM and stuff like that. Do I need to know this kind of stuff if I want to be a web developer?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do I have to know about server configuration to be a web developer?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do I have to know about server configuration to be a web developer?

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

I guess, in theory, no, but it is always good to have *SOME* knowledge of how your environment works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

I would have to say yes. I find it important to understand the environment you will be working on so you understand any "odd" errors that sometimes come up in some, but not other, environments.

Another thing is when working on the "Cloud", and you are in full control of your environment, you can make sure you are paying for only what you need.

Simply my point of view. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

The funny thing is that if you go out into the industry companies just don't understand the difference between a web programmer/developer and the "web guy" who should know everything about their website from how it is operating to even database design. All my career I have run into this ignorance and when the website goes down, they call me. Even if the damn error reads "hard disk failure" they will be calling you, not the guys over in IT hardware support.

Often times I am the one that tells them what to do and how to solve the problem. I never could get by with just saying "I don't know, I just develop websites" because companies hire people like us to handle "everything web". So you might as well learn the basics of server configs and such. You will be expected to know something about your environment and the errors you get... whether it is hardware, software or network related.

Google service crashes, you are called. Amazon E3 is slow... you get called. Some 3rd party API change from twitter that crashes your app, you get called. Then you say "It is amazon's problem not ours" they will then reply "Can you call them to get it straightened out?"

It sucks I know, but it is the way things are. You will have to explain to others half of what you do and don't do. But they don't care, you are the "web guy" and that is what they pay you for. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 25 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 25 August 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

The funny thing is that if you go out into the industry companies just don't understand the difference between a web programmer/developer and the "web guy" who should know everything about their website from how it is operating to even database design. All my career I have run into this ignorance and when the website goes down, they call me. Even if the damn error reads "hard disk failure" they will be calling you, not the guys over in IT hardware support.

Often times I am the one that tells them what to do and how to solve the problem. I never could get by with just saying "I don't know, I just develop websites" because companies hire people like us to handle "everything web". So you might as well learn the basics of server configs and such. You will be expected to know something about your environment and the errors you get... whether it is hardware, software or network related.

Google service crashes, you are called. Amazon E3 is slow... you get called. Some 3rd party API change from twitter that crashes your app, you get called. Then you say "It is amazon's problem not ours" they will then reply "Can you call them to get it straightened out?"

It sucks I know, but it is the way things are. You will have to explain to others half of what you do and don't do. But they don't care, you are the "web guy" and that is what they pay you for. :)/>

Thanks for this it helps me understand what I am getting into way more. Where can I start to learn about server config and load testing and all that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

The best way? Get a VM and install a server OS!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

If you are going to sign up for cloud services, then I would assume yes. As I only have experience with digital ocean, but you are given choice of OS, & a shell login.

As in general with PHP, you'll need to know what version carries what commands & so on. & with that you may or may not need to know Server compatibility. The more you know, & the more you can support, the more higherable you will be. As a freelancer, this may not be the case so much, but will save your ass during client Q & A to avoid compatibility issues you may find yourself in during install time. Avoid an issue is a lot easier than trying to explain to an uneducated client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 August 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

The best way? Get a VM and install a server OS!

What is a good Server OS? I would like to try this out. Where should I start looking
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

MS Server.. unbuntu, Debian, centos, various linux OS.. etc.. they are pretty flexible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

If you are going for cloud computing, I would recommend centos. Myself I prefer FreeBSD, & would suggest avoiding Windows anything.

But again, this is really just preference. An MS guy will give the same exact opposite advice. It is incredibly difficult for me to tell you what is best for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

.. and if you really really REALLY want to look at hardware/server management - build a box out of spare parts and put it on your local network.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Verify with your ISP that they allow port 80 traffic before putting a minute or dollar into self hosting/hardware.

Otherwise you get to explain to customers that they need to use port 8080 in their url, & then spend 20 minutes explaining the difference between the address bar & the search bar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1