1 Replies - 2523 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hosting migration and mx records

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Hello! I'm glad I've found this wonderful community, nice to meet you!

Here is my dilemma:

I have to move a website to another hosting but keep the domain. The client currently has email set up with google apps and the mx records are set up accordingly on the old server.

This person cannot afford to wait a few hours for the mx records to propagate. I am wondering if first I can set up the mx records on the new server to give them time to propagate and only after a few hours set up the new nameservers for the domain. I also live in a country where propagation doesn't happen that fast, that's why this is a problem.

I thought if doing so, until the nameservers propagate the email will still work through the old hosting, and after that the email will work through the new hosting given that I have the mx records are already setup when the dns propagation happens. I am hoping this could avoid the mx records propagation period. Would this work in theory?

Thank you in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hosting migration and mx records

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hosting migration and mx records

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

If the MX records will not point to a new DNS, then there should not be any propagation time. They will continue to point to google while waiting for the dns of the www to propagate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1