13 Replies - 4078 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need SERIOUS direction with this web based project I've embarked o

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hey how's it going? Today is my first day at dreamincode and instead of hiring someone to get this done for me, because not only would it be expensive, but it would be a great learning experience for me to develop it. I just need really good direction. So long story short, a business venture I'm embarking on requires me to develop a image editing website in which you can edit images (most importantly use various shaped brushes to create a pattern on a pre-selected) canvas. I really want something developed like an online very watered-down Adobe Photoshop in which customers create patterns with brushes! I want to be able to load free commercial use Photoshop brushes into the site from my end and allow customers to use them (either by keeping them in the same brush format, or converting them to something else). after customers have created the pattern I want them to be able to make a payment, and the pattern to be sent to me, so that I can move forward with taking it and producing the final product I plan on selling. I have been getting some experience with C# but I don't think that's the proper language for what I'm going for as it's used for offline applications. I'm thinking what I need is maybe a flash based site, what do you think? And does anyone know how I would go about doing such an intricate site? I would really like to get things up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for any help in advance! Sorry for the novel, hope I was specific enough! LOL

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need SERIOUS direction with this web based project I've embarked o

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need SERIOUS direction with this web based project I've embarked o

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Oh ok! here's something similar to what I had in mind! just with brushes, and an e-commerce side to it http://www.flashimag...ageeditor20.fie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

after customers have created the pattern I want them to be able to make a payment, and the pattern to be sent to me, so that I can move forward with taking it and producing the final product I plan on selling.

So they make the pattern, then pay you, then you sell the final product? :dontgetit: Sounds like a plan!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 26 August 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

after customers have created the pattern I want them to be able to make a payment, and the pattern to be sent to me, so that I can move forward with taking it and producing the final product I plan on selling.

So they make the pattern, then pay you, then you sell the final product? :dontgetit:/> Sounds like a plan!

LOL No! as nice and convenient as that would be. I intend on doing something with the patterns that they would be paying for and receiving. I just don't necessarily feel 100% comfortable disclosing it on the web you know?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

And does anyone know how I would go about doing such an intricate site?

What is your experience level programming? What you are asking is pretty detailed and complex setup. 'Akin to asking where do I start building a car'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 August 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

And does anyone know how I would go about doing such an intricate site?

What is your experience level programming? What you are asking is pretty detailed and complex setup. 'Akin to asking where do I start building a car'.

Well I've been taking an e-course in C# and what not but I don't think that's really going to help me in this particular venture. But I'm willing to learn whatever I need to do. I just need the direction, and maybe a little detail-specific direction if at all possible. It's hard to learn to do something so specific to what I'm trying to do when everything is so general. I've been using Lynda.com lol xD but I'm sure I could get some of the best help from great minds here as well! Thanks for the quick replies too by the way!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Okay.. so I am reading that as "not much". If you plan on doing this is ion flash then you'll need to find a book on flash... I would suggest cycling through the book indexes and look for something that covers canvas drawing.

Example of a tutorial that has some of the features mentioned.

http://hub.tutsplus....sh--active-1627
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Flash is a dead technology. You may want to look at HTML5 and jQuery alternatives. A lot of drawing is based around the HTML5 <canvas> tag. I did a quick Google search and came up with this website with tutorials. I haven't really dug and front-end web work isn't my specialty. Hopefully it's a starting point for you to learn though. Note that you probably won't find a step-by-step instruction set on how to complete your project.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 August 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Okay.. so I am reading that as "not much". If you plan on doing this is ion flash then you'll need to find a book on flash... I would suggest cycling through the book indexes and look for something that covers canvas drawing.

Example of a tutorial that has some of the features mentioned.

http://hub.tutsplus....sh--active-1627

Thank you thank you! and actually I do have some experience in Flash as well but only mobile App development have I tried to delve in, and not very much. But, do you think Flash is the best way to go about doing something like this, and of this magnitude? and would that usually be ALL that it's written in? flash? Again, saying if I wanted something similar to this? : http://www.flashimag...ageeditor20.fie
Seeing that I like the way this site is done, is there a way I can see how it's written and kind of base my site off of it? Hope my questions don't sound TOO ignorant. lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Flash is what you seemed to have latched on to. Best way? There's many ways to skin a cat so it is one way.. as macosx said - html5 is another.

and would that usually be ALL that it's written in? flash?

The drawing part, yes.. would be all in what ever language you go with.

Seeing that I like the way this site is done, is there a way I can see how it's written and kind of base my site off of it?

Sure.. I mean there's flash viewers out there.. though, my guess, is you just want to hijack all the code.. so it goes..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks alot for your quick replies, you, andrew and macosx have been so very halpful and it's much appreciated. and not really, as much easier as it would probably be I don't really want to hi-jack the design, but I kind of want to dissect it so I have a better understanding of how it works you know? Because even though it's quite a bit different from what I have in mind, it's one of the closest things that I've found! and for the drawing/brushes, I could do the same thing completely in HTML5?? and it'd be more modernized than Flash?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 26 August 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Note that you probably won't find a step-by-step instruction set on how to complete your project.

Good luck!

Thank you for the helpful reply! and yeah, I know it really sucks that I won't find anything just for what I want to do! lol. What in your opinion makes HTML5 the better choice as opposed to Flash?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

The fact that HTML5 is a relatively new technology and Flash is dead makes it the obvious choice. Also, in programming, you generally won't find tutorials for what you are trying to do, be it this project or another. The idea is to learn to think and problem solve. You're used to academic exercises, I take it. Those are small and not realistic of real-world expectations (as you are finding out).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 26 August 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

The fact that HTML5 is a relatively new technology and Flash is dead makes it the obvious choice. Also, in programming, you generally won't find tutorials for what you are trying to do, be it this project or another. The idea is to learn to think and problem solve. You're used to academic exercises, I take it. Those are small and not realistic of real-world expectations (as you are finding out).

Lol I know it's not really realistic, but it sure would be nice! haha. I'm going to look and see if I find anything close to what I'm trying to do in HTML5, and maybe I can dissect it and get a view on how it's done, while I'm learning more about HTML5. Sounds like a pretty steep learning curve?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1