13 Replies - 1115 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do you think eye tracking tech will ever be accepted into homes

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Do you think eye tracking tech will ever be accepted into homes as a replacement to the mouse or even a complement to todays modern day mouse.

Youtube link guy using webcam to track his eyes

Ok I seen eye tracking technology that moves the mouse looks very cumbersome but it dawned on me if it was used as a complement to the mouse a person could gaze at link the eye tracker could extrapolate where you looking and move the mouse in that area then the user could do the rest. Minimizing mouse movement to a very small area.

blinking your eye to right or left click don't see that catching on but using tech like this to complement your keyboard or existing mouse I see that happening

I also thought it could be used in gamming possibly as a targeting system where your gaze is used to target the enemy. Cross hairs move with eyes.

There may be military applications were a low flying drone or a ground based drone can could engage a target by users gaz. These targets could be chosen by the user, tracked by the drone using motion tracking and software could extrapolate the best firing pattern to use to take out all the targets in the most efficient pattern.

Or how about a head set that can interact with automated doors and lights and computing devices like Google glass or is it just a fad

My take on it

I think its the next evolution of interfacing with computing devices. Current touch devices will not be phased out IE smart phones tablets and other mobile devices because its easier to tap out a phone number or text but there may be built in features that allow you to press buttons built in the device like a left or right mouse clicker so the user dose not have put their hand into their field of vision. What's the use of having great graphics when you cant see 75 percent of the screen because your hand and arm are in the way.

Let me know what you think

P.S. I do not work for Google

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you think eye tracking tech will ever be accepted into homes

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Do you think eye tracking tech will ever be accepted into homes

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

I think that a neural interface will eventually be used to run many of the products. I mean who wouldnt want to just use thought to make things happen instead of using and appendage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

that you tube link

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N2-wTNr7Dok
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

.. moving to software dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostDarenR, on 27 August 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

I think that a neural interface will eventually be used to run many of the products. I mean who wouldnt want to just use thought to make things happen instead of using and appendage.

True wouldn't that person have to add something to themselves like a helmet or halo in order for that device to work properly I think the natural progressing will be not augmenting one self but the technology to work with the user as is

what's your thought
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

It's all in the bioport.

Death to the demoness Allegra Geller!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 August 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

It's all in the bioport.

Death to the demoness Allegra Geller!

Could it be our level of acceptance of the tech. Maybe if a technology is marketed right people would be more accepting of it.

I never bought into the blue tooth ear peaces
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

There are "right people" or technology? Wouldn't it be a pan-campaign to get everyone to use a new interface?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Good question

I would answer that question by using mp3 devices as an example. ok if my memory serves me right, before Apple Ipods hit store shelves. I personally bought an mp3 player thinking it would be cool having the ability to compress my cds into mp3s and dumpping them on a portable player. I remember showing it off to a friend of mine who then asked hey what is that a raido. I kindly explained the concept to him and it went way over his head. Few years passed and Apple lanches a comercial with a guy dancying in multi color listing to an ipod and all of a sudden everyone had an understanding of what mp3's are what m3p players do Go figure

Im sure my friend would have never thought of buying one if he was not opend to the the concept. I was a little upset a silly Apple comercial was more relevent than a trusted friend
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Again.. so a pan-campaign was a factor of introducing an industry wide change. The niche folks a head of time were not the ones to kick off the change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 August 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Again.. so a pan-campaign was a factor of introducing an industry wide change. The niche folks a head of time were not the ones to kick off the change.

I dont see how Apple could gain so much market share if there was a wide spread desire for mp3 players. I stick with my first asumption. mp3 players were marketed to a small grop most of the world didnt know what mp3's were until they seen a flashy comercial made by apple.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

You are missing the point.. the giant campaign of 'cool factor' won a sweeping change. Not a niche, or cabal, of a small number of people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I remember MP3 players being very common before the iPod came out. According to Wikipedia, I started uni the year before they came out. Almost everyone had earphones in back then. There were some "antique" CD players but most people had MP3 players. Unfortunately, I chose the other upcoming technology and invested in a minidisc player.

In my opinion, Apple made the iPod so popular that MP3 players disappeared into obscurity, which is a clever trick since they are exactly the same thing.

The other thing they did was make it trendy to have a highly visible white wire dangling outside your clothes in favour of a black one concealed under your jumper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 August 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

You are missing the point.. the giant campaign of 'cool factor' won a sweeping change. Not a niche, or cabal, of a small number of people.

Your right, it went over my head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1