• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 4817 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Challenge] DIC Chrome Extension: Editor Hotkeys

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Only people you use DIC continually will want to use the extension, and they won't forget code tags (not often at least). I think the original aim was to make it easier for us to write posts quickly. I don't want my long thought out post being deleted by anyone but me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yes, quite agree, my post was intended as humour :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Curtis Rutland: I sent a pull request through GitHub.

My idea for different tag behaviors was to include a token in the string that could be replaced with clipboard text. For instance, usually when I'm ready to post a URL, I already have it copied. I'd like to be able to press CTRL-L and have this inserted:

This is a good idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Ah blackcompe I should have taken a look at your pull request before submitting mine. We have some of the same ideas :) I like the docs you added
I still can't decide if tabbing with selected text should tab the text forward or remove the text and add a tab. I went with the last option

This post has been edited by CasiOo: 01 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

CasiOo: Tabbing the selected text would definitely be more useful for me. If tabbing where to delete it, I could just hit delete and tab once. If we didn't have the feature, we'd have to manually tab every line.

Curtis Rutland: I'm trying to decide now whether to use the clipboard contents for the URL tag value. I too usually have the URL copied into my clipboard because using the tag. I think this would definitely speed things up.

Maybe we can find a way to configure the editor's font, size, and style from local storage settings.

Come on everyone! Lets keep the ideas rolling! :scooter:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I believe most editors will delete the selected text when tabbing, so the user might expect it to work that way, which is why I am having doubt how it should be implemented
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

I believe most editors will delete the selected text when tabbing, so the user might expect it to work that way, which is why I am having doubt how it should be implemented

Ah. It seems odd that editors would do that. Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. don't do that. I still say we should do with tab text :), but lets wait to see what Curtis is going to do about the pull requests.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi guys. I should have some time tomorrow to check both requests and see which direction we'd like to take the project. Thanks for being so active and working on this!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

I've reviewed both pull requests. I've accepted blackcompe's, because he's added a significant amount of completely new functionality. We can look at how CasiOo's changes will mesh after that. If they don't merge easily, we can see about fixing them to work with the new features and refactoring.

I've added both of you as contributors to the main project as well, so we can do assigned bug tracking and such. If any issues come across, please make a new issue for it, and assign it to yourself if you're going to work on it, or leave it open if not. I've just added one about fixing the README. One thing to remember is that it's still smart to work in your own forks and use pull requests. You should have the permissions to merge them yourselves now.

Again, thank you for being so active on this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Additional information: I'm on the same page as blackcompe on the tab issue. Most editors I've used (minus notepad) will enter a tab at the beginning of each selected line rather than overwriting it with a tab character. I think that users will be more familiar with that behavior. We could open an issue that would make its behavior a setting. Once we have a settings page, that would be a good time to look into doing that.

Two other things I'd like to see consensus on: our UI framework and whether or not to include the functionality of my other DIC extension.

Personally, I'd vote for stripping jQUI out and using Bootstrap. I have no reason beyond the fact that I like working with Bootstrap better, and I think its default style is better too. We can pare it down to just the components we want to use.

As to the other part, I'd love to see the functionality merged as well. We could make this project into a catchall extension rather than just editor shortcuts. What do http://www.dreaminco...tor-hotkeys/you guys think?

Lastly, blackcompe, please check out the issue I've assigned to you. There's a bug with the URL tag binding. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

One last thing: I'm not sure how much experience you guys have with working in source controlled environments. For anyone who's not, make sure you check the main branch for updates when you start working. It's easier to work with the changes then than it is to merge them after you make your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hi all! Just wanted to give an update on the project. We've moved all our feature requesting and bug reporting to the Github page, so feel free to join us there. We've had several updates that have added features, fixed bugs, and significantly refactored the entire codebase. So it's definitely an active project.

We definitely want more people interested, so feel free to fork/clone the repo and try stuff out. If you're intimidated by Chrome extensions, don't be. They can be complicated, but they're nothing but JS/HTML/CSS with some private APIs. In fact, the main bulk of the addon is a few JS files that are injected into D.I.C. pages after they load, almost no different than if they were served by D.I.C. itself. There's great getting started guides out there too, so feel free to jump in!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Oh I like Bootstrap. I've just started using it at work too :)

I would personally like to keep focus on the editor. It's easy to reach out for one of the other very interesting challenges, but it might have a negative effect on the editor. I would like to see the editor become one good working piece before moving on to the next subject. It would be a shame to see the editor half finished with nobody working on it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

That's a good plan. We can make the main priority making the editor a better tool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

I would personally like to keep focus on the editor. It's easy to reach out for one of the other very interesting challenges, but it might have a negative effect on the editor. I would like to see the editor become one good working piece before moving on to the next subject. It would be a shame to see the editor half finished with nobody working on it

I agree completely. Lets finish the editor before fusing the two.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 11 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +