2 Replies - 829 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A programming/coding school in the third world

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi all, I am looking at the possibility of setting up a coding school for young people in the third world. I am not a coder or programmer at all and would like suggestions as the best way to teach these skills.

Do I need a competent teacher or are there reputable comprehensive online courses available. I could certainly provide the IT hardware and connectivity. How do most coders in the USA gain their skills? Are most of them graduates?

Lastly, which institutions in the US might provide funding for a project like this? Where could I start looking? This will be a not for profit venture.

Any help/advice will be gratefully received.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A programming/coding school in the third world

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A programming/coding school in the third world

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Random question - but most countries (even those deemed third world) have universities/college/schools... Some even with comp sci that teaches programming. Wouldn't approaching one of those be best?

Do I need a competent teacher or are there reputable comprehensive online courses available.

Sure there are online schools, taped classes, etc, but a teacher is typically best.. more so a competent one.

How do most coders in the USA gain their skills?

Books, tutorials, teachers, each other, practice..

Are most of them graduates?

It varies.

Lastly, which institutions in the US might provide funding for a project like this? Where could I start looking? This will be a not for profit venture.

To build a brick and mortar school? That's tough.. you may to check by poking at anything called 'angel investor'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: A programming/coding school in the third world

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Link all the children to Codecademy and let them sink or swim. Problem solved.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1