11 Replies - 1998 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do certifications mean much when getting job?

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I remember a few years ago when I was in the job market industry certs where a fairly big thing, at least in my area. I have recently started looking to move to a new job and I see no hint that certs are a big deal anymore. Can anyone shed some more light?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do certifications mean much when getting job?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do certifications mean much when getting job?

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

They are and they are not. Some jobs prefer them.. some don't.. they do help show you have a solid knowledge of what ever topic because you had to pass some sort of standardized tests, right? Will they guarantee a job? Not likely. Will they hurt? No. Can they help? More than likely - yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

In my area (midwest) they don't hurt, but as modi said, don't guarantee anything. At my previous college when I was seeking my first job in the industry, I got the opportunity to talk with a couple of federal government techies/managers. Their biggest advice was to watch where exactly these "Certs" are being issued from.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Makes sense. I have been thinking about getting the MCSD cert for Web Development from Microsoft because I have access to some test prep material. I will start testing the waters soon, depending on responses from employers, I will decided whether to do it or not. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

Microsoft Certification obviously doesn't suffer from the issue that AnalyticLunatic raises. But I think it worth mentioning with MS Certification that you should do some research: to work out how long it is likely to take, how much it will cost, and, of course, what is covered.

You should, of course, do the same for any certification or courses, but I believe MS Certification in particular have some quite detailed requirements (hoops to jump through).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 27 August 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

You should, of course, do the same for any certification or courses, but I believe MS Certification in particular have some quite detailed requirements (hoops to jump through).

Indeed they do, especially for firms wishing to become MS Partners.

For my current employer, MS certification means software licensing breaks, better margins when selling MS product and other advantages. So we are "encouraged" to acquire them and keep current.

My opinion on the matter is that it shows potential employers or customers that someone else thinks you know stuff. If you have a history of stable employment/promotions or a library of open source work, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

If you are applying to a company where you do not know anybody, certs may not be that important. Although some companies might still require them as a means of guaranteeing employees have the same minimum qualifications.

If you are applying to a company where you are known, it may not be as important. For example, if you play golf with the IT department or work as a contract worker for a company, and they already know you are well-qualified as a C++ code-banger on a Linux system, they'd probably hire you without looking at certifications. After all, if they have to choose between a KNOWN quantity (you) and an UNKNOWN quantity (somebody whose resume claims to have the relevant skills), they will pick the known quantity every time.

This post has been edited by DavidB: 29 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Some jobs care, others don't.

I got hired at one place simply because I was certified in Windows Vista...

I don't even know why they cared, because I didn't end up doing the job that would've benefited from that, I just wrote software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

It seems certifications - depending on which ones can definitely help you earn a better wage. I personally never have been certified, although I took the Hardware and Software classes for A+, studied up on Net+ and even CIW. I just never really had a need.

After further research, it seems I might pursue a PMI leading up to the PMP certification. I guess having a few letters after your name on your resume would help if you are actively seeking a raise or employment, other than that I don't think there is much relevance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Cisco and Microsoft certs are priceless I think and other standard certs are important but most jobs need experience and proof you can do the job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Depending on exactly which certification it is, it's a big plus on a resume. Any recruiter will ask you what certifications they can use to sell you. It's kind of like a college degree, but less so. But it's also like "experience" but less so.

Some jobs will not even give you an interview without it. So, that's one or more job opportunities you just lost out on, which may or may not make a difference but definitely affect your salary negotiation leverage. Personally, I would consider it worth at least a few thousand a year in salary because it puts you in a better position when negotiating salary, but only if you're skilled at negotiating salary, which is a very different skill than the job you are likely applying for.

As has already been said, it shows that you at least know enough to get the certification and that's of value to employers who often have HR people doing the hiring who don't have a clue what IT stands for. So, at least they can justify hiring you based on your certification even if they have no idea whether you are qualified or not.

The bottom line is it's one more thing you can use to negotiate your way into a job and then negotiate the salary you're willing to work for.

Oh. And besides, if you are truly an expert at the job, you will likely find the certification easy to pass without too terribly much studying. If you already know it, you might as well get certified for it.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 29 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

The first thing you need is code live on GitHub, a blog with a following in the code culture you want to be in, knowledge of recent events, and an ability to learn fast. I've not once heard anything about a certification from any company worth talking to for more than five minutes.

I've found that in interviewing, it's just as much you interviewing the company, and if they tell me they want all these tests and ridiculous hoops of HR nonsense I pack my bags and run. What it means is that the company likely doesn't know the first thing about tech, and instead outsources everything to some HR firm, which is a really bad sign for futures with them. To me, that's not a good place to be.

Attitude trumps Skill trumps Degrees trumps Certifications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1