• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 5790 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SOPA is back

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

It means nothing. It's cant, stuff you say because you can't think of anything sensible. It has exactly no content. It's the sort of thing that you can always say to sound clever, but what does it mean? I think you'll find that if you try to explain it, it means something like "other people have input into the government and I hate that but I'm too lazy to do anything to influence things for myself, so I guess I can always just complain about it, 'cause that always works".

This sort of "our voices aren't heard" nonsense always comes loudest from people who aren't actually saying anything. For example, I'd be willing to bet that you've never bothered to talk to a representative of your government about anything that you claim you're interested in. When was the last time you went to phone bank for NARAL, or walked a picket line with your friendly local union, or did anything at all but bitch about things?

Doing stuff like that tends to kill defeatist bullshit dead. You should give it a try. Looks like the nutjob coathanger fans are going out to bring back the days of the back-alley abortion clinic, so there's work to be done there. You could maybe go out and teach people about using encryption, if you're worried about the NSA and such like. Or maybe you could start lobbying about something to do with handgun control, I know that's one you're concerned with. All of these things need actual effort. None of them need "it's hopeless because the rich people control everything". "They" only control things if you sit on your couch and leave it up to them.

Anyway, you're an idiot if you can't see it, so whatever.

Ah, well that clears everything up. If I don't agree with you, I'm an idiot? Always a convincing argument, but since I'm an idiot I'm not being convinced by it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

jon.kiparsky said:

If I don't agree with you, I'm an idiot?

No, of course not. Mankind has clearly evolved to a point where we can respect each others opinions and different ways of life enough to live in peach and harmony...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 31 August 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Ah, well that clears everything up. If I don't agree with you, I'm an idiot? Always a convincing argument, but since I'm an idiot I'm not being convinced by it.

Whether you agree with me is irrelevant. You're an idiot if you don't agree with the truth. I was not making an argument; I was stating observed fact.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 31 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Thinking you actually know "the truth" is exceptionally idiotic. We like to think that what we "observe" is "fact", but in fact we rarely have a clue what the hell is going on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostAtli, on 31 August 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Thinking you actually know "the truth" is exceptionally idiotic. We like to think that what we "observe" is "fact", but in fact we rarely have a clue what the hell is going on.

I have always found this to be the case. The only people who have the Truth are religious zealots and literary critics. The rest of us have "not yet false".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

You're naive, if not absolutely delusional, if you think one parties crap stinks less than the others. Any man can be bought, no matter what their ridiculous party line banter is.

Tell you what, let's take a look at your president dream boy. He's liberal so he MUST be better than half that conservative nonsense, right? Wrong: http://www.ijreview....ng-lawbreaking/

He's as bought as the rest of them. Trying to say one party is the problem in this is absolutely asinine.

You want to make a difference? Quit bitching online and DO something about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Have to say, mate, while I don't intend to go through a list of 252 "charges" your link makes, when I look at a random sampling, I don't think this article makes the case its author thinks it does.

96) Supports guns for himself and his wife, but opposes them for everyone else

On January 10, 2013, President Obama signed a bill that provides armed guards to himself and his wife for the rest of the lives.

However, in 2004, when Obama was an Illinois state Senator, he voted against allowing people in their own homes to use guns to protect themselves and their families from rapists and murderers.

Um, AFAIK secret service protection for former presidents is not a new idea, and it has nothing at all to do with anyone's position of private ownership of guns.

99) Pressured public schools to replace Catcher in the Rye with a book on window insulation

The Huffington Post reported that Obama’s education policies “are increasingly worrying English-lovers and English teachers, who feel they must replace literary greats like The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye with Common Core-suggested ‘exemplars,’ like the Environmental Protection Agency’s Recommended Levels of Insulation.”

Pretty sure Obama did not write the provisions of Common Core personally, and I'm pretty sure you'll find that this claim is a grotesque oversimplification of a grotesque oversimplification of a complex policy. You might like or dislike Common Core, and that's your privilege. I don't know enough about it to say what I think of it, but I do know that educational policy is extremely difficult to write unless you leave all decisions to the local level, and so any federal education policy will offer opportunity for stupid cheap shots from lazy hack journalists.

86) Tried to seize hotel because some of its customers had used illegal drugs

The Obama administration tried to seize a mom-and-pop bed-and-breakfast because some if its guests had used illegal drugs.

Drug seizure laws have been on the books since Reagan. Should Obama unilaterally overturn them? Maybe with a signing statement, which we all hated when Bush did it? A president is the head of the executive, not the legislative branch. He doesn't make laws. If he starts writing laws, we call him a dictator - that means that Obama is willing to abide by the laws, not just make up whatever he thinks should be the law. I think this is a good thing.

80) Defended Bush administration’s unconstitutional, unwarranted use of GPS device

In January 2012, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against the Bush administration for having put a GPS tracking device on someone’s car without having a warrant, the Obama administration opposed the court ruling

So the Justice Department presented a case for the existing law, and the challenge was upheld. In other words, rather than a unilateral strikedown of a bad law by the executive branch, the law was found unconstitutional by a court that has shown a surprising resistance to reasonable behavior. This looks like a nice piece of judo to me - we ended up with the law off the books, in a way that can't be reversed by the next president. That's pretty slick. This Obama guy is looking pretty good to me.

73) Nominated past frequent user of illegal drugs to keep illegal drugs out of schools

In September 2009, it was reported that Kevin Jennings, Obama’s Assistant Deputy Secretary for the Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, had written about Jenning’s own past frequent illegal drug use in his 2007 autobiography.

A former user gets clean, and he's allowed to administer a program. What's wrong with this? It seems to suggest to me that even if you've had a problem with drugs, that you can still do something with yourself if you get sober. I think this is a really good move, personally.

This is literally a random selection - I was at the bottom of the article, I turned the scroll wheel on my track ball, and picked the first complete article at the top of the window. Again, I have no intention of going through the rest of the complaints listed here, but if the rest of them are like this, I think I like Obama a lot better after reading this than I did before. The compiler of this list found some really cool stuff that I hadn't known about before, like the Kevin Jennings business.

This is not a "Obama is a Democrat, so I like him" defense, this is just looking at the things that his enemies say he's done, and thinking, yeah, I think that was a good call.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 31 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +