13 Replies - 912 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Your Experience in applying for a job online?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I know this probably belongs in a poll but i wanted more candid answers from people, I am doing research into what people think about the application process with applying for a job online. A few things i am specifically looking for are below but i really want your candid answers to your experience in applying for jobs online.

How was the application software?

How was the application process as a whole?

Did you notice that some companies/sites using the same company to gather applications?

Did the application website appear the function properly?

Did it have missing functionality that you think it should have had?

Thanks for your help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your Experience in applying for a job online?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your Experience in applying for a job online?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Some were great, and some really.. really sucked.

It was an application.. not a whole lot to the process except getting it done and my info in the right fields.

Did you notice that some companies/sites using the same company to gather applications?

Yes.

Some did and some didn't.

Yes.. limiting characters sucked.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

I concur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Applying for work online beats applying for unemployment online.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

so far most of the ones i used lacked functionality or were just plain bad. You can tell which ones were just for gathering "resumes".

overall most of the time the sites always refered you to a head hunter service unless it was a company specific one then those ones generally just sucked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

I always hate when they want me to upload a resume, and then they want me to fill in forms that correspond to different parts of the resume. LinkedIn is actually nice for avoiding that problem.

I'd rather provide a simple resume and provide links to LinkedIn + Github, though admittedly my Github profile is relatively bare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

I hate those web form applications and try to avoid them if at all possible.

One of the nice things about having created a resume, or so I thought, was to avoid re-typing the same information over and over again for each application. However, that is exactly what these online applications want you to do.

Plus, I do not want to create additional accounts on each company's website--more usernames and passwords to keep track of. These companies are apparently making the assumption that applicants are determined to get into that particular company and are willing to create a long-term relationship. I wonder how often that is true. It is not true in my case; after I submit a resume to a company, my interest in that company dies--unless they call me in for an interview. So I don't see the point of creating a relationship with a company knowing full well that it will probably go nowhere. I really can't help but feel it is a complete waste of time.

And to further irritate me, I often find out that the applications submitted through those online forms go through a third company, some head-hunting agency. So then I am in their database and start receiving emails regarding opportunities and things I have no interest in.

No. I avoid those online forms like the plague. If I see a job posting I like, my usual approach is to go to LinkedIn, search for contacts there, make a few guesses at an email address, and send off a Word or PDF copy of my resume. If it works, good. If no, oh well.

This post has been edited by DavidB: 29 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

"I'm gonna need your resume in word format"

"I sent it in pdf because that ensures it displays the way it's intended to"

I hate head hunters
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

I think they all suck. When I first moved to Oregon I filled out at least 30 and each had about a 15 minute required multiple choice. Real pain to do that more than once.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

The amount of repetition is what annoys me for applying online.
I was signed up to multiple job agencies who all wanted you to type in the same infomationh, and would then send you to a companies website to fill in the same information!

:gun_bandana: :bananaman:

And I always do better in person then I do on paper/computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

When I deal with headhunters I always request a copy of my resume from them so that I can look it over for what changes they decided to make. I always keep a bunch of copies of my version so that when I go into the interview I can show them exactly what they need to see. I don't like what headhunters do with resumes, but around my area most places use recruiting firms to fill their positions so it's a necessary evil.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Before any job application software comes into play, I spend a little bit doing some digging on the recruiter themselves. I've been through too many "recruiters" over the years who post up a job that's an ideal fit with my resume, apply...and then hear exactly nothing. Some of the time it turns out that the job never existed at all and that the recruiter was simply trolling for resumes to pad their portfolio hoping to impress a prospective employer/customer enough to use them.

That kind of thing pisses me off to no end because more often than not, my email address from my resume gets shoveled into a database and, lo and behold, I'm getting BS job spam about literally any opportunity that crosses their path whether I'm qualified or not...or even on the same effing continent or not.

That said, I'd forgive a host of sins on the application front end if it meant that I'd get some kind of status back saying they'd received my application, when/if they submitted it to the employer and then word on the employer's decision (reject/move forward). Unfortunately for many recruiters, that'd mean they'd actually have to get off their asses and do some work...which, from my experience, is a quality rarer amongst that group than it ought to be.

Then again, I had the delightful experience just this week of a prospective contract putting me through an entire battery of qualifications only to end the process by saying they didn't want to offer me the job because even though I was their best candidate they only intended to pay roughly half of what I said my going rate was (they asked in the first email and I told them). I mean, hey, if you already know that you can't afford my rates, why put me through all that crap in the first place?

This post has been edited by Craig328: 30 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

View Postmtber, on 29 August 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Pretty standard.

Long. Far too smegging long. And brain-meltingly boring.

Yeah, especially agencies.

Kind of. It deterred me from filling in many applications, so the person receiving said appliations knows that anyone who made it throguh the applying process must really want the job in question.

It missed a 'Reconstitute and Reinsert Brain' function for the longer applications that want to know every tiny little pointless detail about you.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Always hit or miss.

The thing I hate the most is the part where you enter your resume in parts in text fields AND THEN IT ASKS for you to upload the resume. Ugh. I get that they probably can't OCR it but still. One or the other...

On the up side, I got my first job out of college because I was floating around "the system" rather than a specific application (I had put one in a few months earlier).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1