6 Replies - 1066 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2013 - 05:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Engine or program for 2D game?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hey I am looking for a 2D engine to create a nice little single player 2D sprite game with the classic chat bubbles and events that take place to drive story along. I was looking at like a gameboy emulator and gameboy map maker program? They work in C though and I was kind of wanting to do C++ to break out some class skills.

Thanks for info!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Engine or program for 2D game?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Engine or program for 2D game?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostBawnawgwa, on 28 August 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Hey I am looking for a 2D engine to create a nice little single player 2D sprite game with the classic chat bubbles and events that take place to drive story along. I was looking at like a gameboy emulator and gameboy map maker program? They work in C though and I was kind of wanting to do C++ to break out some class skills.

Thanks for info!

You might want to consider multimedia libraries such as SDL, SFML, XNA, or Pygame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

Or you could do it the hard way, and use Direct2D or OpenGL and go from there, but these are more for the experienced* novice programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'd recommend SFML since you're using C++. It's really not a game engine/maker, but it's a great library if you want to do some coding.

On the other hand if you want something more closer to a Game Maker/Map Maker and you don't want to do so much coding, I think you can find something here.
http://content.gpwik...hp/Game_Engines

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Since you mention 2d, gamemakers, and storylines, it seems like you are more interested in the quick&easy route to graphics and focusing more on the storytelling. For these reasons, I would recommend a gamemaker, such as yoyogames.com, or anything from list http://www.indiedb.com/engines

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yeah i don't really have the artistic abilities/proper programs to fully CREATE my own sprites,maps,etc... But I went with XNA as far as running the game goes. I love the organized template :P/> and was able to finagle its properties to run on visual studio 2012.

However it is under visual C# template... I can still work in c++ with XNA right?

But I don't want the "quick and easy" game makers. I was more after programs just to make tile maps and what not to use. I want to fully program this thing.

This post has been edited by Bawnawgwa: 29 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostBawnawgwa, on 29 August 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Yeah i don't really have the artistic abilities/proper programs to fully CREATE my own sprites,maps,etc... But I went with XNA as far as running the game goes. I love the organized template :P/>/> and was able to finagle its properties to run on visual studio 2012.

However it is under visual C# template... I can still work in c++ with XNA right?

But I don't want the "quick and easy" game makers. I was more after programs just to make tile maps and what not to use. I want to fully program this thing.

Why do you still want to work in C++? The language does not matter much when you're working with engines and frameworks. XNA is written in C++ but you use C#. If you want a C++ solution then SFML might fit your preference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1