2 Replies - 1529 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

No idea where to start with software design

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

Hey everyone. New to the forum, first post. I'm an Information Systems major and relatively new to all things tech, but I'm learning. Basically, I don't know where to start with this.

I want to design a software program to be used on PC's and laptops. I can go into more detail about exactly what it is designed to do, but I don't really want to because I'm pretty sure anyone in my field that was tech-savvy and tipped off to this business idea might potentially try to steal it. I think its exact purpose is irrelevant to finding answers to the questions I need anyway. This probably isn't groundbreaking anyway, but here goes...

I want to design a program that my end users would utilize in the following manner: end user copies and pastes a short text block into the program. They then select a person from a pool of dozens of "experts" in the field to critique and review the text. Each expert's listing has a set price they charge to review text.

So let's say EndUser wants JonDoeExpert to review their text block for $15. EndUser's account has to be funded. Once it is funded, the funds are available, and he/she can select JonDoeExpert to review his/her text. EndUser does this, and has a pending charge of $15 placed on his account; the text he pasted into the program is sent to JonDoeExpert's mobile device/email/etc. JonDoeExpert types out a response on his mobile, which is then sent to EndUser's inbox on the program.

How would I get started on this? What sort of technical know-how would be required? Would this be a costly operation or fairly simple? What would be the best way to go about designing this software program? Is there any critical information lacking in my description of the program's functionality or purpose?

Thanks in advance,

Wordsmith

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: No idea where to start with software design

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: No idea where to start with software design

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

This is not a 'share your project' thread since.. well.. there's no project. I'll move this to software dev.

How would I get started on this?

Web programming skills. It sounds all web based.

What sort of technical know-how would be required?

html, css, javascript, some sort of server side language like php or ruby, and some database knowhow.

Would this be a costly operation or fairly simple?

Depends.. to make it work well (and deal with payment) it may cost a bit.

What would be the best way to go about designing this software program?

Sketch out all your actions, your pages, how the 'money flow' goes, data needed, admin areas, etc. You know - like any other programming project.

Is there any critical information lacking in my description of the program's functionality or purpose?

How to keep the money part secure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: No idea where to start with software design

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

thank you, very helpful response
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -