5 Replies - 1232 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software Engineering Online Degree Msc

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hello,

It has been 5 years since I finished my undergrad in Automatics and Computing and I didn\t do much coding since then. So I am looking for a fast way to get some training in software development. I would prefer .net development for desktop and web applications but others are fine too. I would prefer europe based courses but again, not essential.

So looking around I fount this Online MSc from University of Hertfordshire UK:

http://www.herts.ac....ree-msc-pgd-pgc

It's Online, 1 year, 6000Pounds, not accredited by the uk goverment. Did enybody have experience with this course?

What do you think? Does this worth the time and money or there are better ways to get good training? Can you recomand me something better?

Or am I better of learning by myself?

Please help

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software Engineering Online Degree Msc

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Engineering Online Degree Msc

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

If you are after training then I'm not sure getting another degree is the best course of action.

From the looks of things that course focuses more on the processes of software development, not actually coding which is kind of what you wanted.

That being said I don't know about any formal alternatives but I highly doubt there will be much coding in it. It says it requires a Computer Science degree to sign up for it which is probably where the coding experience will come from already.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

Why not get a pluralsight membership, some books, or flip through http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com ?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thank you for your replays.

I forgot to add that there is a Computer Science Online Degree MSc too:

http://www.herts.ac....ree-msc-pgd-pgc

My main concern about doing self teaching is not knowing if i go in the right direction. Not knowing if I am going the correct path in learning. So a pack of courses that would take me to a more confident coder would be better for me.
Also the lack of networking with other people is a disadvantage when doing self teaching.

A quality online course where I can get in contact with the tutors and discus the projects and progress would be best.
I would like to stay in the .net ares. I can't find anything :(

I also found this: http://www.makersacademy.com/
web development with ruby or rails and more. It looks good but it's not online. They are in London.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

Beginning Game Programming with C# starting in 17 days on Coursera. Something you could do in the meantime if you're interested. Plenty of other pretty good computer science courses on Coursera as well, though a bit more theoretical perhaps. And it's all free.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostWitchking, on 30 August 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

Beginning Game Programming with C# starting in 17 days on Coursera. Something you could do in the meantime if you're interested. Plenty of other pretty good computer science courses on Coursera as well, though a bit more theoretical perhaps. And it's all free.

This looks very interesting. I'll give it a try.
Thank you very much for sharing!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1