2 Replies - 1178 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game as a final year thesis?

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi there guys,

I am going to graduate from Information Systems and Information Technology this year (2013/2014) and I need to come up with an idea for a final thesis. I don't reall want to stick up with the plan I am given so I was thinking, maybe I can kill two birds with one stone and program a flash game?

Why two birds? I am working as a game tester and my company asked me if I was willing to write some flash game for their website so they can use it as a tool to teach new testers on how the job really looks like (because a lot of new candidates think it will be all consoles, pizzas and cans!)

So. From my perspective it is a bit tricky. I have had languages such as Java, C++, C, LISP and PHP plus some basic game development subject and I never had particular problems with writing code. But my concern is that the game writing is nonetheless a bit more difficult and requires more tools etc. I am afraid I might get lost in this at some stage and it will be too late to revert the subject of my thesis.

Do you think it's anyhow feasible for a regular student to do or I should stick to something less difficult and put my ambitions aside?

I will appreciate any help from you, guys.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Annette

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game as a final year thesis?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Game as a final year thesis?

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I think with a class load of a programmer you may not want to try creating a game because they can become very combersome.-- you might be able to do a quick card game since they dont take much effort but a full blown out game i would advise against it.

I made a snake game for my final thesis.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game as a final year thesis?

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Exactly what would be the crux of thesis? "I made a game for my job, here you go", or simply "here I made a game"? That does not seem horribly.. complex, ambitious, or, really, unique.

I don't reall want to stick up with the plan I am given so I was thinking

What plan?

But my concern is that the game writing is nonetheless a bit more difficult and requires more tools etc.

It can be as complex as you want it. Heck I have a tutorial floating around here where knocked out a crude game engine setup in VB.NEt without much trouble.

I am afraid I might get lost in this at some stage and it will be too late to revert the subject of my thesis.

Isn't that always the problem with trying something new, or embarking into the unknown?

Do you think it's anyhow feasible for a regular student to do or I should stick to something less difficult and put my ambitions aside?

That's up to you... without knowing any sort of work habits, gumption, work load, or drive it would be a crap shoot on how the year will progress.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1