10 Replies - 1643 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

System of a down

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I work for a small IT company (approx. 12 employees) and we have several systems that we use. Email is outsourced, we have DBs and web servers in the cloud, DBs and web servers in the office, a VPN, source control, issue trackers, and several other smaller systems.

At my workplace, we have systems going down all the time. All the time means on average 2-3 outages for 1-4 hours each week. So, perhaps email will go down for 2 hours, remote DBs will go down for 3 hours, and the issue tracker will go down for an hour - all in one week. This week, we have seen all systems apart from email and internet go down for about 6 hours on Monday, and for at least a couple of hours today.

This isn't the first time I've worked for an IT company/department, and it is by far the worst I've seen, but I have still seen frequent outages at other places I've worked. I realise this isn't normal, especially for an IT company, but I'm wondering what sort of system stability (or instability) other people experience at their workplaces.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: System of a down

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: System of a down

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Find a new job before this company looses all its clients. :helpsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

With all the outages i though the company would splurge for some UPS-es or some backup power generators.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

With cloud based services, how would a UPS help? Sounds like management got hooked on buzz words.

Move to the cloud! Web 2.0!!! Lower operational costs & staff!

Bleh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, we're lost in the cloud. A lot of our services got moved to the cloud about 9 months back, it wasn't properly sorted out then, and the problems are now compounding. The word "flaky" gets bandied around a lot at work - I think it's a euphemism for a common profanity,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

We have 5 or 6 servers where I work and 1 may go down for about 15 min to half an hour maybe every other week..

If we were to have several servers go down for several hours a week we would lose our jobs....and quick......for good reason...

The hell takes a server 6 hours to get back online...?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

Poor quality administrators.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

or system goes down a lot at my job.

our ups always fail and our back upp generator forgets to turn on a lot...

verizon is usually the culprit with our lines going down at least 30 times a week.... funny when you call them about it and they are like we are showing no issues but when you hang up the stuff starts to immediately work again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Our SysAdmin went home sick yesterday at about 1:30pm.... systems went down at 2pm. Lucky for me I'm a contractor, not salaried, so I got to go home straight away. Three of my workmates had to stick around til 5 twiddling their thumbs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Are they hiring? Sounds like they need a new SysAdmin, & decision maker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Well, the boss insists that he's an expert on all IT matters - so he never gets people in to do one-off jobs, like install the new router for instance, the current chagrin that it plaguing us. Instead, in order to save money presumably, he does the installs himself, and then hires a guy fresh out of University to be the SysAdmin. Don't get me wrong - I like this guy, he's clued in, he picks things up really fast, and I can see him being an expert in whatever field he pursues within the next 10 years. The problem is, this is his first IT job, so he isn't able to draw on experience when it comes to troubleshooting. The poor sap is only getting paid $19/hr as well, which is about what you'd get paid for flipping burgers at McDonalds in my country.

Anyhow, yes, I think there is a problem with the decision making at the company. This recent kerfuffle is costing us about 20 man hours of work per week, which we can't afford to lose. We were late on monthly sprint for the first time ever, and I've only pushed about 75% of my deliverables on schedule for the first time ever. Normally we hit schedule pretty well, with only minor hiccups, but this mess is hamstringing us.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1