7 Replies - 465 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2013 - 07:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Moving on from python

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hello! first post here. Newbie programmer/novice computer user here.

I am learning python for several reasons.
For one, it has an easy to read syntax for learning, so I can get down programming concepts without having to learn tons of keywords and special symbols and syntax.

Secondly, turns out python is an awesome language and I have learned can be used for alot of things! iv learned it be used in web dev, game dev, and all kinds of software.
I have created some simple text games, i have tried to make a graphical library work(still learning), and I kinda have, although it gets some errors and stops responding and closes, I made some lines and boxes appear for a short time(a house! woo). If someone could suggest a popular one used a lot that would be awesome.

Also i read some things about python being a glue language? i sort of understand what i read, using python to make other types of languages work together?

My main questions though is, how long should i study python, till i could comfortably move into more complex languages. most likely C/C++.

To make this a bit less vague, Im looking to program and develop games. from APPs to PC games. maybe move into 3d at some point but not now for sure.

I don't mind a bit of a challenge but i remember trying to start with C++ a while back and was overwhelmed with everything and it discouraged me from wanting to learn so i thought i would start simple with something called "Scratch" and then i heard of python being good for newbies and i looked and was impressed with simplicity, yet to me what seems like a full language.

If anything, i could some stories of YOUR transition and how long you used python or similar language before starting C++, or if you dived strait into it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moving on from python

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moving on from python

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well you don't have to be at a "certain point" in a language to know you can move on to another language. You can learn two languages side by side and apply tactics you learn in one to another even if the syntax is different.

So you can start C++ right now if you like. But know this, if you want to be a good programmer you will have to continuously learn and practice with a language. So if you take on C++ then you should make sure you continue to practice and learn in Python too otherwise you will lose those skills. C++ can be daunting to newbies, but given the right material and tutorials you can learn to write decent programs almost immediately.

C++ is a bit tedious because it has a long history which includes many many legacy frameworks, libraries and functions. The language is decades old and has been used for everything from Hello World to applications in NASA.

My suggestion for learning C++ is to do what I did, take a class and read books along with it. You don't need to have a class, but the class environment for C++ is often good so you can ask a lot of the questions you need to. Books can also help fill in the gaps where instructors may glaze over. Then asking questions on a board like this, you can learn even more. Just be prepared that Python and C++ are rather different in syntax. So take your time with C++. Once you know that language however, you will find other languages like PHP and C# even easier to understand. Python will help you learn languages like Ruby.

Take your time, use multiple (and different) resources and ask lots of questions. That is how you can learn C++. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 30 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I Just have had this idea i wasn't ready for it. But I will try it out, and continue my python practice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

There is no true place, to indicate when you should, or can learn a new language. The only person that can determine the correct time is you, only you know when you have the time to learn a language, also when you have the capability to do it. But like Martyr2, touched on you can learn multiple languages at a time, it really just depends on the time you have, and also the way your brain learns, can it handle all the information your jamming into it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Another question.

Alot of tutorials i watch/read go SUPER in depth about strings. finding patterns and reapeats and certain characters, and what comes after this and that etc etc...
As an aspiring game programmer, will i need to know everything about strings? or should i focus more on other areas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Could you link some of these tutorials? I would assume for games, strings will no be the big issue, but that is not a answer typed by a qualified person, as I have never programmed a video game. You didn't really specify what kind of 'game' though. I'm just assuming you mean like a Triple A Video Game. If you meant a text-based, game then yes the "Strings", will be a HUGE part.

This post has been edited by DblAAssassin: 31 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Understanding strings, and how to manipulate them, is an essential programming skill. You are likely to work less with strings in game-programming, but you cannot ignore this very important subject.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

View Postrippinrob, on 30 August 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Another question.

Alot of tutorials i watch/read go SUPER in depth about strings. finding patterns and reapeats and certain characters, and what comes after this and that etc etc...
As an aspiring game programmer, will i need to know everything about strings? or should i focus more on other areas?

There are several reasons for the attention to strings in tutorials. First of all, they're just one of the most consistently useful pieces of any language - no matter what you do, you're going to be working with strings. Also, because they're so ubiquitous, they're often used as examples of common patterns in a language. So in Java you learn a lot about objects by working with Strings, and what you learn is then applicable to other types of objects. I don't know enough about the C++ ecoystem to know exactly how strings fit into the pedagogy, but I'm pretty sure that the lessons that are taught with strings in your tutorials will have broader application in the language.

So yes, you should learn everything about strings. It will be useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1