5 Replies - 341 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2013 - 10:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

How to find all related search results

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

I am building a project on Library Management System. I have made all modules required. Now I am turning to Browse Book module. The problem I am facing is: I have a CombBox up with two options viz. Search By Author and Search By Title. I was wondering, whichever option they will choose, it is impossible that I will get all the relevant results merely using 'Like' key of Oracle. For example: select * from books where bname like 'mathematics'. Isn't it? There should be some thing other way around. After some googling I found there's something like FullTextSearch. But I am unable to get it. It's bit confusing. Please let me know how to achieve this task. To be more clear I would like to give one more example: If user is going to search by Author(say). And if the Author name is R K Aggarwal. User may type R.K.Aggarwal or R.K Aggarwal or RK Agg or any other possible combinations. Whatever they may type in the search field. I must display the correct related search results(i.e. Books Authored By R K Aggarwal). How to achieve this and what is it called?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to find all related search results

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to find all related search results

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Did you know about the SQL wildcards?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yeah buddy I do know about 'em. But my problem is bigger. What if they type in R. K. Aggarwal unlike R K Aggarwal. How will I search it. I hope you understand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

I believe that Oracle's equivalent to FullTextSearch is Oracle Text, but I haven't worked with it myself.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 02 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Could you please tell me where can I download the database with whole bunch of different sorts of books stored in it........I will modify it according to my wish.......
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Postrishabhsharma, on 02 September 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Could you please tell me where can I download the database with whole bunch of different sorts of books stored in it........I will modify it according to my wish.......

I don't have such a link. Unless someone else happens to have done something similar (in Oracle.. recently..) then you'll have to search. I would search for a .csv file to download and import into Oracle, or investigate Amazon's services.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1