14 Replies - 2920 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

First day interning at an IT department, and...

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

At first things went well. Then close to the end I got really stumped on a task given to me. My supervisor asked me to "translate" a series of batch files to PowerShell scripts (with .ps3 extension). How does one go about simply translating the syntaxes in this case, when I do not have a background in PowerShell?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First day interning at an IT department, and...

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First day interning at an IT department, and...

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Research powershell for common models and concepts..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Well, he left me to my wits to come up with a solution. It was all new to me, but encouraged me to make use of research. I tried looking up cmdlets and the like but could not make out the similarities. Also after reading community questions and answers, which returned more complex solutions, I could not focus on it as something I could have done with my scope. I did make it a lot harder on myself when I was trying to figure it out though.

On another exercise, I was assigned to do something simple such as returning the serial number for the desktop I was working on and output it to a text file. This was no problem, however.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just say'n - your job may require you do learn things way outside of your wheel house.. the first few are tests to see how you are learning new skill sets, freaking out, etc.. On a given release quarter I am actively the guy my bosses dump odd ass projects on knowing I get a kick out of new languages, can do the project in decent time, and not bitch like the folks who built a heavy wall around the line in the sand saying "I know this and no more!".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

I see.. I just let it get to me because I took one look at it and, especially without having a professional IT background, decided it was way beyond my skill set. And, even if it was, I could have figured it out. It just stumped me because I just had no idea how to do it and expected something to refer to. Obviously once I start working full-time and professionally, there isn't going to be something my boss will give me to refer to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Yeah.. the world is big and you need to be able to find patterns in the languages and use them as keypoints in a map. Do I know a lick of python? Hell no.. but if required to use it, or I figure it's the best choice, I can hit up their website and get the basic of syntax down. I know how an if statement works and I figure the py-guys haven't mucked that up too far.. so I can draw parallels in my knowledge base to accelerate my new knowledge acquisition. And synergy. And mission critical. And paradigm shift.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

I got my first job a few months back and I've been thrown new things every day since then, you just have to grit your teeth and bust out your google, and occasionally impress yourself with a new skill. :)

If you have a bunch of batch files, cool, can you read them and understand what's going on? The syntax is pretty straight forward but go find a website that has a reference if you need to figure any particulars out, or ask here, or Stack Overflow.

When you can write down, in English, what the batch script is doing, then you can translate that into Powershell. I've never used Powershell, but when I do, I'll find a reference/tutorial website and jump right in. How do I "open a file in Powershell?", "traverse a directory in Powershell", "take the output from one program and send it to another program in Powershell?"

Build your script up one small piece at a time. Do something, test it, make sure it works, then save it, and do the next thing. Eventually you can put all the pieces together, and then test that. Test it with everything you can think of, on files that don't matter. Then go show your boss how you do Powershell now!

You can do it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Just heads up, if you're planning to get into IT as a career (Specifically the development side), you should accept dealing with searching things that you have no knowledge of. Specially if you work in a dynamic environment. That's just the nature of the job.

Those that enjoy learning new things tend to do well in this because by nature they just love research and learning new things. Others that don't enjoy this aspect will struggle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

You are not alone. I just started my 2nd day interning and have absolute no knowledge of database.... now I am given a task and I am quite clueless.... I guess I have to hit google, but they restricting a lot of websites so Idk if i can freely search around.... Also time for school is getting smaller and smaller..... :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Interesting, this is the first I've heard about the .ps3 extension. Any documentation on it? Only stuff I can find are rants on MS bug sites and wild speculation from 6 years ago. I can't even find the extension on my Windows 8 laptop.

I hope you like Powershell. One of my jobs as an intern was to take the .vbs logon script that was being used and translating it to Powershell. The decision to use Powershell was more my decision, my boss just wanted a logon script that he could use a config file to map users/groups to drives, printers, and scripts that did other things like install applications or log installed software.

I think the whole thing took about 2 or 3 weeks (not exclusively working on it during that time), and I had to learn about the language could and couldn't do without the awesome ISE.

Later on, I added more stuff to the script like MySQL for logging instead of of pumping a text file. This was done using the MySQL .NET bindings.

Beware though, you can't exactly just run a Powershell script via a double click like Batch. You'll need a bootstrap of some kind to do that, you could use batch or shortcut files.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

Just to follow up, I have to say I learned a ton from all of this. My project now consists of creating a script that will basically install an assortment of programs from a network point, and copy the directory contents to the desktop. I actually felt like I had an idea of what I was doing and enjoyed it at the same time, for starters.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

Congrats man, keep on truckin' :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Seems like I need to catch up too man.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

I learned a ton from all of this

This is why they gave this project to you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I wanted to update you all that this internship has given me so much insight to where I actually have been offered a position at a help desk (at another company). Needless to say, I cannot wait to finally begin my IT career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1