• +

18 Replies - 787 Views - Last Post: 05 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How Functions Work

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostJoeSimmons, on 05 September 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Since you're a visual learner, might I suggest you look at a few tutorials on YouTube. I don't know if they have exactly what you want, but there's some decent stuff there.

The point is not to encourage the autolobotomy. Understanding javascript functions is actual work, not color-by-numbers template slinging. "Code along with Mitch" isn't going to help you here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

You could be nice about things, you know.

I think YouTube can be a valuable learning tool for some, if they choose to learn rather than copy-paste, but that's not up to the video creator.
You can't teach anything in a video that you couldn't just type out on a website or forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

You could be nice about things, you know.

I could, I suppose.
Like, I could give people actual useful advice instead of just pretending that "visual learner" is something other than code for "self-conditioned laziness" and letting them go along their merry way pretending they'll learn something this way, when I know damned well they won't.

You can't teach anything in a video that you couldn't just type out on a website or forum.

That is probably true. The converse is also probably true: you could read out the entire contents of TAOCP in a series of videos. However, video tutorials are an amazing waste of time, because they rely on oral transmission, which is unbearably slow.

It takes about five minutes to read out a sheet of A4 paper, typed sparsely, at a pace that will allow the listener to get most of it (but not really make effective notes of more than maybe a few salient facts). The same sheet of paper can be read by a functionally literate reader in about a minute. So you're going to take about an hour to get something over a video that will take you about ten minutes on paper. This is a huge waste of time, and simple arithmetic tells you that you'll never make up that time until you start reading stuff that's written down. If you try to learn from videos, you will learn about 20% of what you would learn if you just learn to read.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 05 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am going to close this now and if the OP has a new issue he can start a new topic. I don't like bickering about opinions in the help forums, that could be done in the lounge area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +