• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

139 Replies - 5872 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Female Programmers

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

I've always wondered one thing. I've come across many guys who have been interested in programming, but the number of women/girls who are actually interested and enthusiastic about it are rare. Are there any such rare ones here on D.I.C.? I'm pretty new here, so I don't know about them.
Also, why do you think programming is such a guy thing?

Regards.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Female Programmers

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Female Programmers

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yes.. we have quite a few female programmers here.. some known and some not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostThe Arcanist, on 05 September 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

why do you think programming is such a guy thing?

I personally think males are more common in programming because a great deal of females during junior - senior schooling are taught by TV shows and movies that IT guys are nerdy and that's a dull/bad thing. So very few ever try anything IT related. Besides Internet browsing and filling out spreadsheets as a secretary.

Though this 'stigma' is slowly fading, and more females are joining the IT field. My University currently has 23% female students enrolled in Computer Science degree's. Which is huge comparing to other years.

Women in ICT are often put off (Especially in Games Development) due to sexism in the work place. I've herd many horror stories of females at game dev studio's who have been verbally harassed by co-workers. Things that start off as a snide remark such as "What are you do out of the kitchen?" and "Make me a sandwich". Then progress into a daily abuse by not just one co-worker but groups. I think this is because a lot of video games are aimed at a male audience, using sex as a selling point. Female character's wearing skimpy clothes, strip clubs, damsel's in distress, etc.

Just my view.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

We tried this topic once before. Didn't end well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Touchy subject, must tread carefully.

I've met a couple women who are far better programmers than I. They don't do it professionally because they make more money as manaagement.

I think Draps hits it on the the head, though, too. Sexism. Programmers, as a species, aren't particularly well known for our social prowess. A bad quip (maybe intended ironically) that isn't immediately shot down and stomped, such as "what are you doing out of the kitchen" can escalate into a really hostile environment.

Parallel: It's the same problem women face in MMOs. Everyone thinks they're being funny and original by mocking a woman's gender 'ironically.' It's not ironic, it's douchey, and it's why they can't keep good raiders in their guild. But they don't realize it.

Be it a dearth of common sense or maturity, men get fucked up in the head about it and don't know how to not be dicks to women in IT. Even on the Help Desk it's something of a problem - though less so lately as that's starting to become a 'normal' service job.

So I think sadly part of it is a willing avoidance of the profession. They may find it easier to get a job doing something else that still utilizes their skills, than to have to deal with men like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostThe Arcanist, on 05 September 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

Also, why do you think programming is such a guy thing?

Perhaps to most females programming seems like a logical and boring task.
While designing visual stuff looks like a more fun task.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 05 September 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

We tried this topic once before. Didn't end well.

That ended up being one ugly thread. Probably because the words chosen were not very wise and offended few members.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

My boss is a woman and she has a masters in IT networking----can't program worth a shit but knows her hardware inside and out
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Mine apparently did the same thing.
Wrong topic :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostThe Arcanist, on 05 September 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

... but the number of women/girls who are actually interested and enthusiastic about it are rare. Are there any such rare ones here on D.I.C.? I'm pretty new here, so I don't know about them.

I love what I do and am pretty good at it. I program in Perl and PHP but love learning any new language I can find. From what I remember about the female programmers on DIC, many seem threatened by other female programmers so it's hard to get to know them. I would say any that have been a member for awhile are probably enthusiastic about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Relevant post out of Microsoft:
Encouraging the next generation of women in computing
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Reading that article, I come to this line:

As I speak with young women around the world, I continue to find that their disinterest stems from a lack of familiarity with the exciting and impactful career possibilities in computing.

Ignorance of career possibilities?

I don't think that's what it would be.

I never had anyone evangelize the career possibilities of computers. Really I never had anyone evangelize the career possibilities in any of the maths or sciences. Only jokes about being a "rocket scientist" or "astronaut".

Really one of my biggest beefs when I went to school for mathematics was the lack of knowledge about what you can do with a math degree. No one could tell me. None of the students, not even the professors. I'd get responses like, "well... um... you could be a professor like me."

YAY.

I was really only there because I enjoyed math.

I didn't go to school for computers, so I don't know what the computer science professors say. But if you're already in a computer science course... well you're already there, we need to convince you to stay, not to join.

I did go to high school with girls... and I don't remember once having someone come in and say anything to just the boys about the job oppurtunities in computer science... I don't remember them coming in for anyone.

So if us boys aren't getting told about them... I highly doubt that's what's causing the ladies not to get into it.

Personally I think there's more to it than that.

Of course we should definitely be informing students of what the career possibilities are, but I'd rather that one be non-gender specific.

As for the rest of the article. Pretty cool stuff.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 05 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

This month on the way back machine: Overdone Forum Topics
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

I never had anyone evangelize the career possibilities of computers.

At my school the first (of the core classes for the program) was a rah-rah dog and pony show of local business (or big name folks with outposts here) coming in.. weekly.. to show us what they do and that they were looking forward to seeing us all come work for them. Hell - we even had four mandatory field trips!

Now the physics and astronomy folk really did a piss pour job on seeing the possibilities.. not a flier, power point slide, or a mention. Sucks to their assmar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

Since we don't really have a good way of determining someone's biological sex or cultural gender (either of which can be female independently of the other) apart from their own decision to provide that information, we don't really know much at all about the demographics of DIC. The same is roughly true of the web at large. We can expect perceptions to be biased - particularly, we would expect to overestimate the percentage of men, since there is a cultural default for many people towards the male. For example, you often see people referring to posters with male pronouns, even when there is no indication that they are in fact male. Add to this the various reasons why a woman might decide not to present themselves as female on line - idiots who don't take women seriously because they're women and idiots who proposition women because they're women are two obvious ones - and it's very likely that there are a lot more women on DIC than you are aware of.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »