• +
  • « First

139 Replies - 5875 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Female Programmers

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

I don't care if it doesn't have a female lead, I'd still play the shit outta that if I had it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostAtli, on 08 October 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Bort said:

The developers stated that none of the leads are female because that is how the storyline played out, and three males worked better in those parts.

Right... Clearly Rockstar needs to stop having developers write these storylines.

Was this sarcastic or not?

If it's sarcastic... ok. Not clear that it is.

If it's not sarcastic... WHO IS SUPPOSED TO WRITE IT? Game developer is a name not designated to just a programmer or something... it's the people who make the game. If you stopped having the developer write the game, then there is nothing written. If you replace the writer... they're now game developers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

O no, really, I was being deadly serious. It's downright insulting to game programmers and graphics artists around the world that writers DARE put themselves in the "developer" category, and I'm (almost) outraged beyond words!

P.S.
I'm hoping the Comic Sans font makes it clear that I'm being sarcastic. If it does not, please let me know so I can figure out a more obvious way. Perhaps making it bubblegum pink as well would help?

P.P.S.
For the record, I wouldn't consider story writers as part of the "game developer" umbrella. (Not that I think there is actually a fixed universal definition for this term anywhere...) When I think "developer", I'm thinking about the engineers and graphics designers that create the software to tell their stories. - It's kind of like saying J. K. Rowling is a game developer if some fool decides to create a Harry Potter game based on one of her books. (Which I'm sure somebody has.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

If J.K. Rowling works on the game writing the script for the game... yep she could technically be. But if the story was just adapted... nope.

You don't say Stanley Kubrick's Shining was written by Stephen King, it was adapted from Stephen King, because Stephen King didn't write the screenplay.

If he had, like he did with the 1997 made-for-tv version of the film, then yes... he wrote for the film and is credited as such.

And you do know that sarcasm is signified by tone and inflection. There is no literal signature for sarcasm, it's kind of the entire design of sarcasm is that it literally sounds like one thing, but due to inflection and tone you know the speaker meant the opposite.

But thanks for the comic sans.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 08 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

No bubble gum pink, then? Damn :P

I honestly have no real opinion on whether or not writers should be considered a part of the "game developer" umbrella. Couldn't care less. It's just not what I typically think when somebody uses the word "developer". Perhaps I'm just a snob.

In any any case. What were we talking about before my sarcastically-challenged joke again? Something about the joys of creeping out women in the workplace.

I'm lucky on that count, actually. I have no fashion sense whatsoever, and you'd have to shave your head bold for me to notice a difference, so I'm not at all inclined to compliment anybody at work, creepily or otherwise. - Unfortunately this is not an especially useful quality outside of work.

This post has been edited by Atli: 08 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First