• +
  • Last »

139 Replies - 6018 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Female Programmers

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Personally I think it has to do with poor education in general for large portions of the population.

Which is then exacerbated by the cultural differences between boys and girls, that have a stronger presence in the shit parts of our country.

You go to a shit school here in South Florida (which is probably 80% of them), and consider that most of the population of these shit schools have no idea what even exists as career possibilities in any field.

Pour in the fact we all come from families who didn't necessarily have much of a career path for themselves either. The best may be that dad was in some specialized labor like A/C, plumbing, driving, etc.

Also pour in a large dose of drugs.

And lets not forget the huge impact on girls that is teen pregnancy.

My school had a 40+% drop out rate.

What kids make it out of that and into college, as opposed to just going into the untrained labor fields (majority of my friends are waiters and laborers, a small tiny percentage went on to college, but those that did stumbled into tech, engineering and research... one of my friends is the earlier joked about rocket scientist).

So these kids ending up in college are usually at the local state colleges and universities, not knowing the fuck they're going to do. And often are just doing it to get the shiny piece of paper. And look for the fastest and easiest route to that shiny piece of paper.

Thusly the art degrees.

So many students in it for art degrees.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 05 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Some days I wish I would have gotten a Fine Arts degree. I guess there's always the Art Institute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 laytonsdad  Icon User is online

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

In my experience females are less inclined to do technical positions because it is a so called "a mans profession", as quoted in a debate for a psychology class. Many of the females in the debate said they didn't "have an interest in trying to one up a male in his position of power". This led to a debate on whether men have an ego problem and so forth.

This is a touchy subject and my thoughts are that many woman are either not interested in the tech or don't want to deal with the crap attitude that male programmers usually have toward woman in the workplace. I haven't met too many female programmers but the ones I have are confident and intelligent.

It's like any other intellectual position, some have it some don't. This goes for men and women.

*Waits for shit storm*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postlaytonsdad, on 05 September 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

In my experience females are less inclined to do technical positions because it is a so called "a mans profession", as quoted in a debate for a psychology class. Many of the females in the debate said they didn't "have an interest in trying to one up a male in his position of power". This led to a debate on whether men have an ego problem and so forth.

So this one time I asked 10 girls if they all liked tennis and all of them said no.

Conclusion: Girls hate tennis.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#20 laytonsdad  Icon User is online

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

I haven't met too many female programmers but the ones I have are confident and intelligent.

That is the quote you should have looked at...;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

It's like any other intellectual position, some have it some don't. This goes for men and women.

Do men "have it" more often or in greater quantity than women? If not, I don't see why this is included here.

It's clear to me that programming ability is not gendered. There's no reason to suspect that any of the skills required for writing good code - logical reasoning, mathematical ability, creativity, stubbornness, etc. - are in any biological sense "masculine". So the reason for the disparity in numbers of male and female programmers has to be cultural. Unfortunately, this puts us in an evidence-free zone. We can all state our "obvious" answers and then be completely baffled when others find our preconceptions less obvious than they obviously are, but there is no data nor any hope of data to convincingly support any interesting hypothesis about why women do not choose to enter programming, or about what prevents them from pursuing that choice, or why they do not complete programs, or any of the questions in this line. The reason for this hopeless situation is that we're talking about a massively complex system of influences which are experienced individually by particular women at particular times in their lives and at particular times in history, but which are not consistent across historical time and do not influence people consistently at particular stages of their lives. These influences are also not felt consistently across geographical or class boundaries, and of course individuals are individuals, so they respond to these influences differently.

In other words: we're trying to tell one story about all women, and that's not going to work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

My wife went to college, initially taking Computer Science because of the probability of a high paying job. After some HTML, she changed majors. It bored her.

This was before I met her.

It still bores her.

What I do bores her.

She just doesn't have an interest in what makes things tick, finding solutions to logic in code, coding at all, computer fundamentals, processing, client/server interaction, any of it.

She does enjoy posting photos of her cats to facebook.

I think it's safe to say in general, this is the case. How? Why? Whatever. It just is. That isn't to say that there are not female coders. But there are also not a lot of male cheerleaders.

There are just some processes that follow a tendency. What I don't understand is the desire of a male to look any further into it than that. I used to work with a guy that had a gf that played wow, read comics, & coded. I warned him to keep her secret. Don't you dare show her off, I suggested. He didn't understand why. That shit will tare apart your friends. Sure enough, a month later she cheated on him, as she's the 'ideal mate' for pretty much everyone he hung out with.

I don't know. The interests of others, & tenancies of gender employment just escape me. I don't find it interesting, & wonder why others do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 laytonsdad  Icon User is online

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

It's clear to me that programming ability is not gendered

That was my point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

It seems role models are needed.

In an analysis of some 10,000 students at nearly 100 schools, Riegle-Crumb found that the divide was anything but constant.

"What we find is that there are many schools where boys and girls take high school physics at the same rate," Riegle-Crumb said in an interview. "And that there are many other schools where more girls actually take physics than boys. And so when you look at the aggregate, you see a pattern where boys are taking physics more than girls, but there is a lot of variation around that."
[...]
Riegle-Crumb's finding about the importance of local role models meshes with a broad range of that shows the decision to pursue math and science is not about innate differences between boys and girls, but about and norms.

http://www.npr.org/b...cted-to-physics

Though some role models go an.. odd route. Danica McKeller is one. (*hearts 4life, yo!* Wendy)

http://www.amazon.co...ar/e/B001JP7Z7G

Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail
Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss
Hot X: Algebra Exposed!
Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape

Then there's LadyAda over at http://www.adafruit.com .

Adafruit’s Ladyada (Limor Fried) named Entrepreneur of the Year by Entrepreneur Magazine @EntMagazine
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 05 September 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Some days I wish I would have gotten a Fine Arts degree. I guess there's always the Art Institute.

I wasn't talking about fine arts.

I was talking just regular old art degrees.

Bachelors of Arts

as opposed to

Bachelors of Science
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I know - I was just adding a wistful tangent to the topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

There are no female programmers. They're a myth, like the mafia or Krampus.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Krampus isn't real!?

Then who used to beat me as a child?

That...

that must have been my mother?

What a BITCH.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 05 September 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Then who used to beat me as a child?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#30 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

Your mother resembles krampus? That explains everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »