3 Replies - 923 Views - Last Post: 09 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Sharpen my skills

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hello,

I think of myself as beginner+ (perhaps, moderate) skilled programmer, and I'm looking for a way to sharpen my skills as a programmer. For example, I've programmed numerous apps such as : Tic tac toe, Checkers, Snake, Pong, Work hours program... I'm looking for new challenges, because I learn new stuff as I program....

I want to read your advices, as a skilled programmers, on how I can sharpen my skills.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Wrath_014: 06 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sharpen my skills

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Sharpen my skills

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

Well first of all you need to work your way towards mastering at least one programming language. So pick your current favorite one and learn it very well, meaning that you should write lots and lots of code in it. Work on projects that you find interesting and challenging, collaborate with other people, read other people's code, read lots of books on software design. Program efficiency is also important, so you should have some knowledge on data structures and algorithms. A very good advice is found here written by Norvig, one mean hacker. Enjoy :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Project Ideas

The best thing you can do is write as much code as you can.

Pick a project that sounds interesting and start making it. Along the way its likely you will learn a whole lot about what to do/not to do etc. It's also the best way to improve your overall code design - write code and see where it goes wrong - then fix it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Thanks !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1