5 Replies - 3145 Views - Last Post: 07 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Qcloud Puts Quantum Chip In the Cloud For Coders To Experiment

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

I was going through slashdot today and saw this article. Sounds pretty interesting, any opinions?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Qcloud Puts Quantum Chip In the Cloud For Coders To Experiment

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Qcloud Puts Quantum Chip In the Cloud For Coders To Experiment

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Care to summarize, explain, quote, provide talking points, etc the article being quoted in /. ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I had the privilege over 10 years ago to sit in a lecture by a professor describing the use of quantum computing and that is certainly some interesting stuff. I don't know if the average computer user will be able to get their mind around the complexities. I am dumbfounded that quantum computing has taken this long to get to market to where average people have a shot at it. Even this article shows that while they are opening up the technology, you still have to prove yourself before you get access. I am also sure they will have to schedule you a time slot and limit your experiment so that it won't hog up the resource.

Either way, just another step in the chain of getting it out there for the public. Pretty cool. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Basically, Quantum computing is currently only available in very few labs. This project is attempting to make quantum computing resources available to researchers across the globe. I remember a while back that Google and NASA actually teamed up to purchase a quantum computer from a company called D-Wave. So obviously, if two organizations with that much money need to join together to purchase just one quantum computer, they must be very expensive. Who knows what impact this will have on quantum computing and if it will help the growth of quantum computing. What do you think?

Here's a quote from the D-Wave website that I found interesting:

A full suite of software tools is included in the D-Wave TwoTM system, ranging from all the low-level code base for running the hardware systems, all the way up to applications programming interfaces (APIs) for a range of languages including Python, C++, SQL, Matlab and Java. Software support tools, forums and documentation for developers are also available.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

I don't know why I posted this in the C++ News section, so if a mod wants to move this to a more appropriate section that's fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

I really want to see quantum computing take off. As far as I know we don't have a truly general quantum computer just yet. The computations we will be able to preform are going to be insane.

I read some of the application and there is a section that request you to describe your research and its "national importance". I don't think I meet the pre condition of this function.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 07 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1