8 Replies - 1285 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Having hard time choosing the right language and education

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hey, I've decided to create my own topic for this as this is kind of personal related. I'm going to try to get straight to the point without writing too much unimportant stuff about it.

So here it goes:

I'm 18 year old student in slovakia. this is my last year in high school and then i go to university (hopefully)

Since I was about 15 I was always saying that i had enough time to learn stuff, even though i really wanted to learn my passion, or rather addiction, for video games was bigger. But i really want to change that, but I think i need some guidance and help with decision making (embarrassing, that at this age I'm unable to make a proper decision and stick with it, right?)

So anyway my question is that I'm unable to make decision and choose my first programming language. I've tried many languages, my first encounter with programming was with pascal, then I've tried some VB, I know a bit of Java (really, just the basics) I know HTML and CSS (and photoshop) good enough to create a basic website. I have all the basic knowledge in programming, I do understand loops, if statements, arrays and other basic stuff.

But I was never able to stick with any language to learn it properly or discover all concepts and ideas of programming. My current language is python, everyone says it's easy and i like the idea of general purpose language, but still I'm not sure if putting my energy to something else, let's say Java, C++ or C wouldn't be more beneficial.

The problem is that i want to do so many things at once. I want to develop for the web, but at the same time for mobile and desktop. I want to design and i want to code (probably more code :D/> ) So if anyone has the ability to give me some advice or point me in some direction it would help me so much.

The other thing i have a problem with is math. I don't suck at math, nor do I excel at it. I'm an average student who never really put much effort into learning it. And since my career ambitions in computer industry I think it's something i should really start working on so If you know a good book(s) which would help me boost my math skills that would be awesome! :)/> or any resource for that matter.

Hopefully someone will read this and help me with my decisions. I can't really imagine myself in any other work than with computers

Thanks for all the answers in advance :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Having hard time choosing the right language and education

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Having hard time choosing the right language and education

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

The problem is that i want to do so many things at once...But I was never able to stick with any language to learn it properly

Are you sure that someone recommending a language will help you? More importantly, you'll need to break the habit of not-sticking with it ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Write down your goals, milestones, and expectations. Get a schedule - write one down, tack it to your wall, and follow it. Have projects in mind, and scribble in a notebook of ideas to work on later.. with your projects make sure you know when it is 'over'. What you need to accomplish the project to a satisfactory level and work on it. Picking a language is a rather uninteresting task, but picking/working/doing projects is a different story.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

That sounds quite good :) Definitely, going to try it this way. What my concern is this. Let's say I have an idea for an mobile app, let's say it's for android, which means java, am i right? the app might be a success (I'm not expecting my first project to be success and I will be happy if only one user of it will find it useful) but then I will need a website for that app, which needs a different skill set. So while i focus on doing and learning a different set of tools and skills my java skills won't be growing. This is probably a really bad argument.

offtopic: If i were to choose between android and iOS platform which one would push me further as a programmer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Certainly.. that's part of the process, but take it one bridge at a time. Between a mobile app and a website I think the mobile app pulls more weight as being an 'interesting' and complex project. The website is a secondary skill set you can pick up later.. realize you are one person so.. yes.. if you are not working in one language then you are not actively applying another, but over all you are programming and applying universal concepts.

As for your offtopic - either. Seriously.. you are making this a bigger deal than you should be.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

I think you have a point about making it a bigger deal than it needs to be :)

Thank you :)

Other opinions are still appreciated, though i think modi has already helped.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

Pick a software stack and just do it. If you want to make an Android app, just do it. If, having done that, you need a website, just do that too. You don't use 'the same skills' to do each and every little thing, but there is a large amount of crossover between different programming disciplines. Don't worry what language you use, just use one. If having used it, you discover that there is some other way you would rather do something, go learn that and do it better. It's important to understand WHY you are picking one language over the other, and without a thorough understanding of the pros of one and the cons of another IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, you can't make a informed choice, and nor can anyone else for you. One day you will turn around and you will be fairly proficient in some language that you keep using, and you'll have picked up all manner of other helpful skills along the way.

Python is just fine. You can change the world with Python, plenty of people already have. But if you are curious about some other language, go download a compiler and have a crack, what's to stop you? Yesterday I didn't know what Sass was. Today, I'm generating CSS files for a large web application. One more string in my bow. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

You will be an excellent candidate for learning c/c++. Most beginners find it harder learning c/c++ as their first language. However, since you already have done some programming and know basic, you can more easily grasp the harder stuff of c/c++ that others would find hard. Chose c/c++ and stick with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

I was the same. Always jumping between languages. Landed onto C++ and we have a love/hate relationship.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1