• +

34 Replies - 2591 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

#31 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do You Think Programming Might Someday "Almost" Become Obsolet

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

Interesting.. now you are patching the patches. Outside of keeping the ivory towers focused on research and tangentially helping folks degrees I think wrangling them or penalizing them is silly.

Corporations are like sinking ship with holes. If you don't patch up ALL of the holes then water will just start gushing in through the other holes faster. Essentially they should all be kept on a short leash and heavily regulated.

Though I am unclear how hole filled corporations and heavily regulations go hand in hand..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

Corporations are like sinking ship with holes. If you don't patch up ALL of the holes then water will just start gushing in through the other holes faster.

Whether or not you like this analogy, the consequent you're trying to draw from it is nonsense. The water will pour in through a hole in a ship at the same rate regardless of the number of other holes there might be. Surely you don't think the water knows about the other holes, do you?

I think the analogy is a little bit crap, personally, in that corporations do not seem to be much like ships with holes in them, and in any case you're not very interested in saving that sinking ship/corporation from sinking - in fact, you'd like to see it sink, or at least that's the impression you give. And I'm not even going into how the ship goes around the hole in the ship - sounds more like an Escher illustration than anything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Jon you're looking too deep into the analogy but in any case I don't want to see the corporations sink that's not what I'm saying friend but I admit that Corporations and large institutions in general like Universities should be heavily regulated.

Like it or not we need some regulation and that includes regulation on businesses too. This isn't do whatever you want land and it never will be. For example a restaurant has to legally try and meet some health guidelines. They can't just have any old sanitation standards that they want so people coming in the restaurant die.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Jon you're looking too deep into the analogy

An analogy is an argument, it's a claim that X is like Y in some relevant way, and that the similarity is such that we should be guided by it in our thinking about X. If your analogy doesn't bear scrutiny, why did you waste my time with it?

As for the second half of your post, I don't think I suggested that I oppose regulation on business. I just said that your argument was idiotic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

Right fine bad analogy in the sense that water won't go in faster but you get my point...wow...this whole entire thing is pretty hilarious actually I.E. this online debate. HaHaHaHa! Oh Wow! This is starting to remind me of a debate with Walter, Donnie, and Lebowski in the movie The Big Lebowski....HaHaaHa! The Chinaman is not the issue here dude...that's not her toe dude lol.

This post has been edited by adn258: 30 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +