Best self-help for SQL, prof is difficult

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1875 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Best self-help for SQL, prof is difficult

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

That. Just install a SQL database and get going. Any database. MySQL is good. Postgres is good too. MS SQL is fine, I think others mentioned a free express version.

You need to know how to create a database, create some tables, and then query them. It's not rocket science but you need to read the book, or the tutorial, or whichever kind of lesson you decide works best. There are 100000000000 books on SQL, from beginner to advanced. A quick Amazon search yielded more results than I could be bothered investigating.

When you can do some basic SQL, learn how to properly structure your tables, learn about normal forms. Why is it often better to extract columns from a large table and make several, smaller tables that you need to join when you query? Learn how to write more advanced queries that join multiple tables and perform calculations. Then learn why the first way you did it is SLOOOOOW and look into query optimization.

Anyway, get your hands dirty. You can talk about doing it all day, but it only takes an hour to install everything and you can be actually doing it, and learning.

When you have specific questions post them here with your attempt at an answer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +