3 Replies - 1383 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Confused, where to start?

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Iím currently in my 2nd year of my software engineering course; I have to do a placement in my 3rd year.
But what should I be doing now? I have 'experience' of C++ mainly and a bit of assembly, from 'teaching' myself how to do it. Basically as a teenager I reversed games and coded 'hacks' for them. But Iím looking to gain experience as I haven't touched anything for a few years and this is a career I want to pursue. Iím assuming people are spending their spare time coding away, probably in some field their interested in or striving towards. But I am confused where to start, what books to read etc.

I was thinking about maybe volunteering with local companies to gain some experience for this year but I just can't imagine it to work like that. What would you recommend? Obviously I need to be learning in my spare time but what should I be doing/learning?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Confused, where to start?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Confused, where to start?

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

You are a software engineering student, right? You must have learned a few languages in class, correct? I am not sure what you want to start or why you wouldn't be sure how to do it.

As it is either work on getting those existing languages down or pick a new language and try some of the projects in our project lists. Go over the basics and fundamentals and make sure you can produce something.

"Volunteer with a local company"? Do you mean internships?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Iím assuming people are spending their spare time coding away

There's more to life than coding all your spare time away. Yes I dabble in some code sometimes when I am not working, but there are better things to do most of the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

It depends on whether or not you need to spend your spare time coding or not.

In this case the OP really does need to devote their spare time to coding. They need to get some experience under their belt, build a portfolio, learn some new languages/technologies etc.

That's what all companies will look for. For those with some experience, yeah doing nothing in your spare time is perhaps not necessary (or perhaps it is if you love doing it), but for someone without any then you need to make that sacrifice. You don't just magically conjure up experience, you need to earn it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1