10 Replies - 902 Views - Last Post: 21 September 2013 - 09:43 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Is The Concept Behind A RPG 2D Game?

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

I have somewhat of a vast knowledge in the basic of java programming, if anything the only problem i personally have with programming is how to implement my knowledge in such a manner needed. Now as for my question, I want to know what is the process and the concept behind a 2D Tile RPG game? I'm not asking for the top Notch Video Games with all this high tech 3D views but rather a simply 2D Tile where my character can be seen (Sprite) and have movement. Now i'm seeking to do this for educational reason, personally i want to make it Open-Source when ever i get to finish it (I Believe in the open Source movement). I just want information on it and what steps would normally you follow if you were thinking of creating one.

When i mean steps it can be like Listing all the imports, giving me specific methods i must apply, letting me know the number of classes etc.

Reality is that i need a small guidance push to get me going in the direction i want. I would appreciate the help even the smallest detail. Please don't write harsh comments questions my knowledge or grammar (Members get picky about this a lot)!
If anyone would like to help me and be part of this then add me on skype AndreeU17 but other than that i would really appreciate the help.

PS. reason why this is in the java section rather than the game is because im looking for a java way of approaching this thats why, however, if you feel this belongs in the game section then please move it thanks.
-Jonathan

This post has been edited by AndreeU17: 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Is The Concept Behind A RPG 2D Game?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Is The Concept Behind A RPG 2D Game?

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Buy a book or follow some youtube tutorials. There as plenty of them. That's the best advice anyone will give you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 13 September 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Buy a book or follow some youtube tutorials. There as plenty of them. That's the best advice anyone will give you.

Yes i actually got "Killer Game Programming in Java" but i dont find it necessarily good in my personal opinion. I did see some few youtube videos but not well sure about it. However, i will keep searching :D Thanks for the aid!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

You could probably learn a lot from "Minicraft", a 2D game that Minecraft creator Notch coded up in 48 hours. Source code with explanations are available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Moved..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cute bug

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Take a look at this channel on youtube " TheChernoProject ".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostAndreeU17, on 13 September 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

When i mean steps it can be like Listing all the imports, giving me specific methods i must apply, letting me know the number of classes etc.

I really have no idea what your question is :S. But I'll try to help.
First of all, There are TONS of resources online you can easily access, that contain these exact concepts you're looking for (concepts on how to represent a 2D gameworld, sprite animations, etc). There are a ton of concepts involved in making a fully developed 2D RPG game, but most of them are dependent on your implementation of it.

Take a battle system for example. There is a large variety of different ways and different styles you can implement it, and the implementations of different systems will be very different from each other, but they will generally have the same "base" concept. The concept being, What is a battle? What kind of functionality does it need?, What does it need to keep track of?, etc.
You really need to think in general terms when designing concepts for your system. For example, A battle consists of 1(or multiple) players, and 1(or multiple) enemies. Then you need to decide how the battle will play out, Will it be turn based? Dynamic(Open movement/etc)? Will players be able to switch weapons? Use Abilities?, Way too many things to consider to actually list all of them.

Basically what I was trying to get at above, was you should think in general terms when designing the concept for a certain system of your game (whether it be trading/looting/battling/etc). Then you should apply your programming knowledge to try and implement all the functionality that you determined you would need. Trial and error is a great way to learn too :).

---------------------

On a finishing note, You can think of a 2D game world as simply an Array(I usually use a [x,y,Layer]) of 'Tile'. 'Tile' being a data type you define.
you can add as much functionality as you'd want to it, and use those values to determine if something needs to happen.
I usually store a few integers in 'Tile', being a tileID(used for determining what part of what image to draw for this 'Tile'), an eventID(in case this tile raises some kind of event when stepped on), and a keyID(used as map boundaries, so the game loads a different map when its stepped on).

Player position should also be relative to your map array. for example player position 0,0 would be the top left of the map/screen, and they wouldn't be able to move up or left from that position. All you need to do for movement is shift the x or y position by whatever value you'd like whenever a certain key is pressed. Use those position variables in your draw routines as well to achieve movement. You should also handle drawing your map relative to your players position. if your "viewport width" can only display 20 'Tiles' from left to right, you'll want to draw your Map X from[playerPositionX - 11, y, layer] to [playerPositionX + 11, y, layer]. that will draw from 11 tiles left of your player, to 11 tiles right from your player. The extra tile drawn is so that when you step, there isnt a "flicker" on the edge of the screen. Same applies to the Y.

You also need to do boundary checks to make sure you're not drawing outside of any bounds. so if a player is at map[3,20], you can't draw -11 tiles from their x position, since x is only 3. instead you would draw from x 0 to x 21(assuming viewport width supports only 20 tiles across, the extra tile is to prevent the edge of the map from "flickering" as I said before.).

Sorry I started rambling. There is just way to much to explain for somebody to fully answer your question. Hopefully you managed to pick up a concept, or some idea's from my rambling. The best thing you could do is find some tutorial series on these kind of things, since they tend to have 20+ "parts" and explain as they code. This should help you grasp alot of the concepts you're looking to understand.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Reality is that i need a small guidance push to get me going in the direction i want. I would appreciate the help even the smallest detail.

I don't mean to be rude; but if you're asking these types of questions, you aren't ready to develop a game like this. When you get into game programming, you need strong architecture skills. Games are large projects. Tutorials cover specific concepts rather than making a 2D RPG more broadly. I think you should go back and refocus on getting a really good handle on the basics of Java, especially OOP. Then play around with the Java GUI some. Once you have that experience, then consider revisiting a 2D RPG game.

If you want to make smaller games, focus on something like a guessing game, tic-tac-toe, blackjack, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostAndreeU17, on 14 September 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 13 September 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yes i actually got "Killer Game Programming in Java" but i dont find it necessarily good in my personal opinion. I did see some few youtube videos but not well sure about it. However, i will keep searching :D/> Thanks for the aid!

That's not a beginners book. You should probably start with something like Programming Video Games for the Evil Genius, which is much simpler. You'll learn some interesting things about game design, but the code in the book is horrendous and definitely not thread safe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

View PostChrisNt, on 13 September 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Take a look at this channel on youtube " TheChernoProject ".

I'm sorry, but Cherno does a crap job at explaining anything; maybe he improved later on, but his early videos were unfollowable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

I think this might be a good start:
http://gamedev.tutsp...ame-developers/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1