5 Replies - 1905 Views - Last Post: 15 September 2013 - 08:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

new to ASP.NET (pieces of puzzle question)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi everybody,

I am trying to understand what are the topics of study to develop in ASP.NET with C#. I prefer C# over VBNET because with C# you use less lines of code to do the same that VBNET does with more lines. In other words, supposing that ASP.NET is a program and that each ASP.NET topic is a subroutine in a flow chart, how many subroutines that flow chart would have? and which should be the names of those subroutines? Also, would there be a learning priority of those topics or it doesn't matter? I have a lot of books (some of them good I think) but I don't know if I have all the topics. One topic I haven't seen in books so far is how to do printing or make reports to screen and/or printer. I will appreciate all your feedbacks. Thank you all.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: new to ASP.NET (pieces of puzzle question)

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: new to ASP.NET (pieces of puzzle question)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

You are asking a crazy large answer that may or may not even be answerable. A programming language - be it VB.NET, c++, LISP, etc and any sort of framework attached to said languages are just tools to build your app. You take the basic foundations presented and use those like lego blocks to build things not laid out. Create new combinations and setups. So.. no.. not *EVERYTHING* is going to be found in a book. You need to see what is there and combine the pieces.

If you have "a lot of books" then you should know those 'subroutines' you are asking about. I would suggest picking one of those books and start reading through it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thank you for your answer. I have to say that I have been reading "Programming Microsoft .NET" of Jeff Prosise. The book is great but I have Visual Studio 2010 and the examples are for Windows XP, so I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I don't know how to try those examples. If I had to explain something I know, I believe it would be easy for me because I know the subject, but in this case I don't know the full spectrum of ASP.NET. The question was about knowing the main topics to start. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Again - your 'a lot of books' is exactly where you need to start.

Why won't the examples from your XP book work on your current rig? Have you tried them? .NET is amazingly backwards compatible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Yes, I have, and I believe it is because they are different versions of Visual Studio. The thing is I cannot make them work. I don't know if they use different libraries of what the problem is, but I have seen the ASP.NET code from tutorials online and it doesn't look difficult to program, I would say easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Maybe you should start with the specific problems you are having with the application you are trying to run. If you are running visual studio 2010 on a Windows 7 box then there is no reason that it should have an issue running example code from an earlier version of visual studio on Windows XP. Where you run into problems is when the examples are running newer versions of .Net than your machine is running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1